Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Zippy car to drive!
By Jan

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a fun car to drive. The 5 speed transmission is very smooth and it hangs onto a curve like it's on rails! It averages 32-34 mpg when I drive it, 28-30 when my husband drives it. This is a third car and has never been driven in bad weather. We consider it our "fun car".

Do not get one! unreliable
By Jade

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

so unreliable!!! I've spent more than this car is worth in repairs. It's in the shop more than it is on the road. Now there is an electral problem no one can seem to fix. Mine has about 150,000 miles on it, and I've had it for 2 1/2 years. I've spent over $5,000 in repairs, and the car was $7,500. I still owe $3,500 on it. My advice get a Chevy.

Awesome, super safe reliable car!!
By Natalie Goodloe

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I owned one of these for a very short 7 months before I got into an accident which totaled the car..): but let me just say, this was my first car as a college commuter student and I absolutely loved it! The gas mileage was wonderful; 35 on highway and about 25 or so in the city. Premium gas is better for the car, but I usually just alternated between premium and regular. Very sleek, attractive car. Everything worked wonderfully, never had any mechanical issues while owning it. My passenger window regulator did break after a few months, however I have heard that this is a fairly common issue in older bmws. I never had a chance to get it fixed, but century bmw said it would only be about $200 to fix. So not too bad! Despite all the rep bimmers get about being expensive cars, yes they can be but they do not break on you very often, especially the e46. I also feel that it's important to note the safety of this car...as I mentioned earlier I was in a head on collision which totaled the car. But I am so thankful that I was in a bmw because both driver/passenger airbags went off, the car "crashed" like it should..I didn't have a single scratch on me. Not even whiplash. Like I said, great first car especially for young drivers!!

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By joe77y

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 1997 Lexus SC300 I regret selling. Most solid car ever. I owned Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus and now BMW. 2002 BMW 325i I bought with 128,000 miles and has 130,538 miles now (3 months). Everything that can go wrong with these cars has gone wrong. Sun roof stopped working, Roof leaked whenever it rained, Front lower bushings and ball joint went bad. Rears are bad now. Can't get it aligned at local shops, BMW only. Service engine light on P0171 running lean. Saw big tear in intake tube, fixed. but light still on. Burned 2 1/2 quarts of oil within 2,000 miles. Valve cover leaked. Wipers park 10" high. Passenger rear window rail broke on freeway stuck down. CHEAPEST LUXURY CAR!

2002 BMW 325i
By mikhiett

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 1 year, 2 months now. I have Oriental Blue paint, black tinted windows, gray leather interior, and 17" optional rims. Automatic M/S transmission. Xenon headlights that light up the entire road. Excellent gas mileage. This car accelerates fast, looks good, sounds good, and has been very reliable with 126k miles. I bought this car with 116k miles. I changed the oil with a special Belgium imported synthetic oil 10k ago. The only expenses I have had are 4 new tires, control arm bushing, valve cover gasket, coolant hose, and fuel pump relay; all total cost under $1500 including tire price, parts, and shop labor. This car is definitely a keeper.

I love the classic/modern mix of BMW styling, and this generation of BMW 3 series jumped out at me and told me to get it. The new models of BMW do not seem to have the classic look. When people see these BMW's on the road, they always look twice. I love the engineering of BMW; the engine, chassis, and mechanisms all perform like a high quality automobile should. It is just as I imagined it would be to drive this car. As with any car, your maintenance depends on how you drive your car.

Some pieces of my outside and inside trim fell off. My headliner is beginning to sag. The corner pillar headliner is loose and hanging a bit. On the 17" rims, I am missing one center lug cap and the BMW logo on the other 3 peeled off. My radio volume button came off and I lost it(still have steering volume control, though). Had some issues with hood cable sticking and hood not opening. Tints interfere with radio reception so I cannot listen to local radio stations without a lot of interference.