Used 2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Awesome, super safe reliable car!!
By Natalie Goodloe

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I owned one of these for a very short 7 months before I got into an accident which totaled the car..): but let me just say, this was my first car as a college commuter student and I absolutely loved it! The gas mileage was wonderful; 35 on highway and about 25 or so in the city. Premium gas is better for the car, but I usually just alternated between premium and regular. Very sleek, attractive car. Everything worked wonderfully, never had any mechanical issues while owning it. My passenger window regulator did break after a few months, however I have heard that this is a fairly common issue in older bmws. I never had a chance to get it fixed, but century bmw said it would only be about $200 to fix. So not too bad! Despite all the rep bimmers get about being expensive cars, yes they can be but they do not break on you very often, especially the e46. I also feel that it's important to note the safety of this car...as I mentioned earlier I was in a head on collision which totaled the car. But I am so thankful that I was in a bmw because both driver/passenger airbags went off, the car "crashed" like it should..I didn't have a single scratch on me. Not even whiplash. Like I said, great first car especially for young drivers!!

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By joe77y

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 1997 Lexus SC300 I regret selling. Most solid car ever. I owned Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus and now BMW. 2002 BMW 325i I bought with 128,000 miles and has 130,538 miles now (3 months). Everything that can go wrong with these cars has gone wrong. Sun roof stopped working, Roof leaked whenever it rained, Front lower bushings and ball joint went bad. Rears are bad now. Can't get it aligned at local shops, BMW only. Service engine light on P0171 running lean. Saw big tear in intake tube, fixed. but light still on. Burned 2 1/2 quarts of oil within 2,000 miles. Valve cover leaked. Wipers park 10" high. Passenger rear window rail broke on freeway stuck down. CHEAPEST LUXURY CAR!

2002 BMW 325i
By mikhiett

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 1 year, 2 months now. I have Oriental Blue paint, black tinted windows, gray leather interior, and 17" optional rims. Automatic M/S transmission. Xenon headlights that light up the entire road. Excellent gas mileage. This car accelerates fast, looks good, sounds good, and has been very reliable with 126k miles. I bought this car with 116k miles. I changed the oil with a special Belgium imported synthetic oil 10k ago. The only expenses I have had are 4 new tires, control arm bushing, valve cover gasket, coolant hose, and fuel pump relay; all total cost under $1500 including tire price, parts, and shop labor. This car is definitely a keeper.

I love the classic/modern mix of BMW styling, and this generation of BMW 3 series jumped out at me and told me to get it. The new models of BMW do not seem to have the classic look. When people see these BMW's on the road, they always look twice. I love the engineering of BMW; the engine, chassis, and mechanisms all perform like a high quality automobile should. It is just as I imagined it would be to drive this car. As with any car, your maintenance depends on how you drive your car.

Some pieces of my outside and inside trim fell off. My headliner is beginning to sag. The corner pillar headliner is loose and hanging a bit. On the 17" rims, I am missing one center lug cap and the BMW logo on the other 3 peeled off. My radio volume button came off and I lost it(still have steering volume control, though). Had some issues with hood cable sticking and hood not opening. Tints interfere with radio reception so I cannot listen to local radio stations without a lot of interference.

Solid machine (Automatic)
By jdez09

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 93 Lexus LS400 for the newer and smaller BMW 325i. Man what a difference. This car has less horses than the old lex but i would prefer the 180 some-odd horses to be called clydesdales because of how fast this thing takes off! It's quick, and feels light but is actually a heavy car. The safety of these things are out the roof. Great build quality and materials inside and out are easy to maintain and clean.

Gas mileage is great, I have driven on highways and have averaged over 40 mpg with careful pedal use. City miles aren't near as good but it balances out very well. DONT USE REGULAR GAS! It lowers your fuel economy, these cars are made to perform efficiently with 93 Ot

The suspension is unlike any sedan I have driven. The lights in the interior give the car a calm, collective illumination during the nightime cruises. The one i bought had worn cupholders so I purchased coasters made for the vehicle. The leather is comfortable and has a racers feel to it. daytime running lights and fog lights are ideal for safety as well. Airbags are everywhere, and are hidden nicely with the leather coverings. Dashboard is incredible, because it has that curvature that exeeds even to the passenger. Gives the car a Jet engine cockpit type feel while driving and it compliments your peripherals. Note: Newer models don't have this look. They straightened it out

Theres a slight problem with the air intake but im gonna have that fixed pretty soon. The upholstry on the pillars may need to be reinforced after a couple of years of use (they might come out of place) other than that the car is solid. The speakers should be replaced after years of use to keep the authenticy of the sound quality that the BMW driving experience deserves. If you have the bank notes.. Buy this car, and for those of you that have one I'm glad to be an owner alongside you guys. I see alot of you on the road and i can tell that you all have passion for the car. Thanks for reading.

A "different" 325i
By timothy

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After 4 BMW motorcycles, still had not owned the car. Spotted this one on a reputable lot, had look closely as it looked "different" It was (is) absolutely gorgeous, one owner.Has a M3 front clip (after-market?) 5 speed manual in instead of the usual steptronic, LED rear light buckets Someone had put some money, love and care into this car, impeccable condition.Bought it on the spot (120,000 miles)no problems whatsoever, sounds, handles, drives like a dream, I even love the way it smells. I'm hoping that any of the usual complaints (window regs, tensioners, have been resolved. the only maint regs that came with it are the every 3000 mile oil changes (Castrol synthetic 5-30).

handling, craftmanship, fuel mileage performance,body style, interior layout

none observed yet