Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Can't beat the styling
By 70dave

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my wife for daily commuter with approx 90k on it. Bought it for the reliability concept since we had bought my daughter a '95 325i and loved it. It has the touring and sport options. Car was in very good condition for the year and serviced regularly. So far replaced water pump, window regulator, washer fluid motor. To me these are things that commonly occur with any vehicle with this mileage and is to be expected. You can get a piece of junk with any manufacturer. This car is a blast to drive and gets 27-29 mpg to boot. Can't beat the styling and when I do get to drive it, it's usually too fast.

Big brakes, big wheels, big motor great styling.

A beautiful friendship
By Mike Wehner

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased CPO with 31,000 miles in 2003. Dealer maintained with 112K on the clock. Runs and drives as new. Still returns 24.7 avg city/hwy mileage. Recent tires and shocks have restored the ride quality. Engine is simply superb. Still gets compliments and turns heads. I think the secret is to keep up with the BMW recommended maintenance, don't beat the car, and to use a cover if parked outside during the work day. We liked the car so much that we went out and bought an X3 so we no longer argue about who gets the Bimmer today...

The 3.0 liter inline six cylinder engine is absolutely stunning.

I'd love to see the use of aluminum instead of plastic in the sunroof shade mechanism and window regulators. These fail in the heat of the southwest (Phoenix, AZ) and require replacement.

6 years later...STILL LOVE MY 330i!
By Peter Bonerz

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

What can I say? This 330i has been bought, paid for, and still does everything in 2009 that it did in 2003! No rattles, no performance lag, no dings, no dents. See folks, if you take care of a car - love it (as the Germans say) the car will return the love. This BMW is garage stored but driven daily. All repairs are performed as needed. In 99K miles it's needed a cam sensor, belt tensioner, 2 window regulators, and a valve cover gasket. All of the aforementioned were replaced under warranty. Tires were replaced with exact BMW spec ContiTouring (including the 5th full size spare). Mobil 1 Oil every 7500 miles. Car is a paid-off gem and looks/works in mint condition! No Civic 4 me...

Timeless styling and quality. Performance juxtaposed to economy. Balance in handling. Acceleration. At 99K miles, I don't think this car is even at it's mid-life crisis yet..

What a Thrill
By BMWNewbie

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 70,018 miles from a reputable BMW dealer. This is my first BMW. I was skeptical buying this car with so many miles but have no regrets. Purchasing this car from a "BMW Dealer" helped ease my worries. I subsequently had the car checked by a certified BMW mechanic. The Dealer replaced the control arms, tires, brakes, and rotors. It helped that this car had only "one owner," I only replaced the thermostat at 79K miles. It was suggested I replace the overflow bottle as well before driving from Philadelphia, PA to Tulsa, OK (1300 total miles). Since then, I have driven to Philadelphia (2600 total miles) and back to Tulsa with no problems.

The convertible top is the best! This is my second convertible. My first convertible was a Triumph Spitfire with a manual top. Interior is well designed and the handling is by far one of the best experience of any sports car I've driven. I love the sound of the engine when changing gears...SWEET!!!!!

Cheaper price for the battery. I replaced the battery at 80K miles at a whopping cost of $304, Ouch!! Definitely would love the Sport Package with the boosted padded seats (heated) and HK sound system. I can do without the 17" sport tires since the ride would be not as smooth with the 15" tires.

Who said BMW was reliable?
By Picky Driver

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Simply put, great piece of driving engineering. But, The Germans really need to figure out better electronic systems. I love my BMW, purchased it with 78,000 miles, and grabbed a 2 year extended warranty for 2,500. Totaling 19,500. THE FACTS - I researched the car vigilantly before I went to the dealership. Leaning towards not purchasing a BMW before I even step onto the lot. But, I wanted to drive the car, then make a decision. DO NOT do this if you are comparing the BMW to say a HONDA or Toyota. There is no comparison and is not fair. Beautiful to look at, a real treat to drive around in. WARNING!!! - I spent about 3,000 on repairs in 2 years. Lucky me, the warranty covered 90% of it.

Smooth acceleration, tight gripping of the road... even for a 4dr sedan. Maxing out at 190 hp. Sports package gave it a special interior, more sexy then standard one. My girlfriend has a 2007 Honda civic. The civic feels like a lawn mower compared to my BMW.

Electronic devises. Two window motors... which I was aware of after reading hundreds of consumer reports just didn't realize they charge 300 a pop. The little things were apparently not a priority.