Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

A beautiful friendship
By Mike Wehner

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased CPO with 31,000 miles in 2003. Dealer maintained with 112K on the clock. Runs and drives as new. Still returns 24.7 avg city/hwy mileage. Recent tires and shocks have restored the ride quality. Engine is simply superb. Still gets compliments and turns heads. I think the secret is to keep up with the BMW recommended maintenance, don't beat the car, and to use a cover if parked outside during the work day. We liked the car so much that we went out and bought an X3 so we no longer argue about who gets the Bimmer today...

The 3.0 liter inline six cylinder engine is absolutely stunning.

I'd love to see the use of aluminum instead of plastic in the sunroof shade mechanism and window regulators. These fail in the heat of the southwest (Phoenix, AZ) and require replacement.

6 years later...STILL LOVE MY 330i!
By Peter Bonerz

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

What can I say? This 330i has been bought, paid for, and still does everything in 2009 that it did in 2003! No rattles, no performance lag, no dings, no dents. See folks, if you take care of a car - love it (as the Germans say) the car will return the love. This BMW is garage stored but driven daily. All repairs are performed as needed. In 99K miles it's needed a cam sensor, belt tensioner, 2 window regulators, and a valve cover gasket. All of the aforementioned were replaced under warranty. Tires were replaced with exact BMW spec ContiTouring (including the 5th full size spare). Mobil 1 Oil every 7500 miles. Car is a paid-off gem and looks/works in mint condition! No Civic 4 me...

Timeless styling and quality. Performance juxtaposed to economy. Balance in handling. Acceleration. At 99K miles, I don't think this car is even at it's mid-life crisis yet..

Who said BMW was reliable?
By Picky Driver

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Simply put, great piece of driving engineering. But, The Germans really need to figure out better electronic systems. I love my BMW, purchased it with 78,000 miles, and grabbed a 2 year extended warranty for 2,500. Totaling 19,500. THE FACTS - I researched the car vigilantly before I went to the dealership. Leaning towards not purchasing a BMW before I even step onto the lot. But, I wanted to drive the car, then make a decision. DO NOT do this if you are comparing the BMW to say a HONDA or Toyota. There is no comparison and is not fair. Beautiful to look at, a real treat to drive around in. WARNING!!! - I spent about 3,000 on repairs in 2 years. Lucky me, the warranty covered 90% of it.

Smooth acceleration, tight gripping of the road... even for a 4dr sedan. Maxing out at 190 hp. Sports package gave it a special interior, more sexy then standard one. My girlfriend has a 2007 Honda civic. The civic feels like a lawn mower compared to my BMW.

Electronic devises. Two window motors... which I was aware of after reading hundreds of consumer reports just didn't realize they charge 300 a pop. The little things were apparently not a priority.

2001 bmw 325xi leaks alot
By leaks alot

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned a bmw 325xi since 2001. The car handles great but is very expensive to maintain. I have had all four doors leak. Fixing the vapor barriers on the doors still does not solve the problems. Rust will start to appear on body around the lower doors from a break in the seal that covers the weld along the edge. Rust also appears on the metal lip that is below the door edge and above the plastic trim. Rust will also break out below the trunk bottom lip. Rust will also appear on the trunk lip below the classic kidney bean intakes. I have had to replace three power window motors I think because of water leaking into the door.

car's handling

Fix the problem with the door leaks. It is as if bmw when designing the car was trying to purposely rust away the 2001 325xi model. BMW should at least find a fix for this problem and let there customers know how to fix it.

Solid Car
By KarFn

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've loved this car and am loathe to part with it (I've owned it for over 7 years). All is running great..knock wood. Never had any major maintenance issues. I love the way it drives...solid. Exterior is sporty. Interior is functional, yet basic. No complaints.