Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Love/Hate
By m_n

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding performance.
5 minutes into a drive you understand why Car and Driver has put it on their 10 best list for 22 consecutive years.
Love love love the way it drives.
But it is the 2nd most unreliable vehicle I've owned, next to a Mercedes E320.
Water pump, vanos unit, idler pulley exploded on me, this sensor goes bad, that sensor goes bad, constant check engine lights, power steering leaks, and on, and on.
And it eats rear tires. The only saving grace is this car is very easy to work on for an average mechanic.
Yes, it really is.
I replaced the water pump in 1 hour and I have never replaced a water pump before. Non-dealer parts for non-M cars are reasonably priced too.

Power, handling.

Everything else.

Do Not Buy This Car!!!!!!!!
By kdub12

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, I bought this car and ALL The Drama That Comes With It.
This is the Worst BMW I have ever owned, and I have owned 4 others throughout the years.
Sadly, I could not recommend any current BMW based on this one, as unfair as that may be.

I bought this less than 1 year ago and 4 mos later, started dumping in money.
The 'check engine light' comes on about every 1-2 months. I have had to replace all 4 oxygen sensors to the tune of $800+, new trans. cause the 'reverse' went out (inherent problem whether 27 or 150,000mi. I found out. All new tires, for various reasons, now needs an air flow sensor, hopefully all.

Even though it drives well, has great pickup and power, and looks good - all these things will fade into the recesses of your mind once you take one on. All you will see are Bills, bills and more bills. When I was looking to see what kind of tires this car came with, the very first thing I saw on a blog was "Yes, I own a 2001 330i and all the drama that comes with it". This was just on a tire site, mind you. Not a site where people are discussing problems. Sad, just plain sad. BMW wouldn't even recall the faulty and poorly produced transmission even though there were thousands of complaints.

Even if clean, it still has inherent probs. Going to get the 1980, 320 out of my backyard and fix it up. The 330i has used up all my savings. It's a total gas hog, requires the most expensive oil, and every engine warning light requires anywhere from $500-$5,000 worth of repairs. Did I say - Don't Buy This Car. Best advice I can pass along from a sad sad experience. Look cool with something else and learn from my mistakes...please!

330 Ci Bought Based on Reviews Here
By taggart01

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 with 124k on it back in '08 based on a bulk of the reviews from this site and research I've done from other sites.
Sure you're going to find people that complain that things went wrong but I was thinking of a used car with a lot of miles. I've replaced control arm bushings, water pump, coolant resevoir, valve cover gasket. I learned how to do most of the work myself so the cost is minimal and at times the work enjoyable/rewarding.
Expensive to maintain? Sure as with ANY car if you take it to the dealers. If you're looking for low maintenance neither this car nor ANY used car is it. Leasing is your option.

Problems consistently
By moras

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The front plate of the BMW was damaged with the outside temperature sensor after 3 months.
BMW refused to replace on warranty.
The generator failed, the bolts on the underpart of the car were replaced at a cost of $250 within 3 years and no warranty. Note I had the extended warranty purchase for 3 years.
Generator replaced after 5 years.
Oil leaks valve gasket cover replaced by dealer yet the oil leaks are from the hoses and oil filter area which was not replaced.
Total amount spent is 5K which I have not spent with an American car driven to 170M miles.

Like the pickup and drive when working

Better customer service and more integrity with the BMW service dealers. They give you a nice talk , fix a problem but t hen after leaving there are multiple other problems with the vehicle. Trust is problem

I Wanted to Like but...
By butterflyp

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would not recommend buying this car unless you have a warranty and an extra car.
I have had this car 4 years and spent over $8k on repairs.
Window regulators, water pump which took out the idler, drive belt, alternator and power steering, many gaskets.
Covers for the side view mirror blew off while driving and the other detached itself somehow.
Driver's side door leaks.
Headliner is loose.
The leather around the passenger door speakers is coming loose.
The ac stopped blowing air shortly after the driver side window stopped working.
Twice I've had a major stall in the fast lane on the frwy AND as if the car was finally ashamed if what is , the BMW emblem on the hood fell off!!

Stop marketing this as the ultimate driving machine and address your repetitive problems starting with the window regulators and leaking issues. I will say that when the car is working, it handles very well. However, it is not enjoyable to own or drive this car very far because there is the constant thought that something else is going to malfunction.