Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Problems consistently
By moras

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The front plate of the BMW was damaged with the outside temperature sensor after 3 months.
BMW refused to replace on warranty.
The generator failed, the bolts on the underpart of the car were replaced at a cost of $250 within 3 years and no warranty. Note I had the extended warranty purchase for 3 years.
Generator replaced after 5 years.
Oil leaks valve gasket cover replaced by dealer yet the oil leaks are from the hoses and oil filter area which was not replaced.
Total amount spent is 5K which I have not spent with an American car driven to 170M miles.

Like the pickup and drive when working

Better customer service and more integrity with the BMW service dealers. They give you a nice talk , fix a problem but t hen after leaving there are multiple other problems with the vehicle. Trust is problem

I Wanted to Like but...
By butterflyp

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would not recommend buying this car unless you have a warranty and an extra car.
I have had this car 4 years and spent over $8k on repairs.
Window regulators, water pump which took out the idler, drive belt, alternator and power steering, many gaskets.
Covers for the side view mirror blew off while driving and the other detached itself somehow.
Driver's side door leaks.
Headliner is loose.
The leather around the passenger door speakers is coming loose.
The ac stopped blowing air shortly after the driver side window stopped working.
Twice I've had a major stall in the fast lane on the frwy AND as if the car was finally ashamed if what is , the BMW emblem on the hood fell off!!

Stop marketing this as the ultimate driving machine and address your repetitive problems starting with the window regulators and leaking issues. I will say that when the car is working, it handles very well. However, it is not enjoyable to own or drive this car very far because there is the constant thought that something else is going to malfunction.

Fabulous Buy
By ptarmigan

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 330xi over 11 years ago and now have 110,000+ miles with it (still without having to replace brake pads!).
Most recently I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on it which improves its already impressive handling in bad weather.
It's incredibly fun to drive and has been relatively economical to maintain.

The handling, performance and ride are outstanding as is its overall construction.

The visibility out the back is restricted for shorter drivers. The front window defrost could have more fan speeds -- the "high" level is noisy and a bit much for any lenghth of time. The manual transmission was overly tight when the car was new but is easier to shift now with some age.

BEST car I have owned!
By cathomp5

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is AMAZING!
I have the 330i with automatic transmission, the sport package and the premium Harman Kardon sound system(Which sounds like a movie theatre in your car).
I've had the car a little over a year and bought it with aprox. 93,000 miles.
The exterior styling is timeless, the interior is of higher quality materials and the engine and body are very solid.
Only thing I would change is the window up and down assembly inside the doors.
They seem to break easily, which I've read in other reviews.
Other than that I've been very happy with this car and will probably purchase another one when the time comes.

The Harman Kardon sound system, Heated Mirrors The small particulate matter sensor which will automatically switch to re-circulate cabin air if it detects high polution.

Window up and down assembly inside doors needs improved. Fuel Economy

Great Car!
By chamoh78

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was a very used car when I got it. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 90K knowing that BMW is of higher quality and the car would last longer than most. The 100K service wasn't cheap, but I knew this before I bought the car. This is my first Bimmer and it certainly won't be my last. I may never own another brand, unless I want a truck...

The sport mode of the tranny. I love knowing my car will out handle most other, higher horsepower, vehicles with ease.

For some reason my back screams at me if I travel more than 100 miles at a time. I just can't get it comfortable. Lower maintenance cost.