Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I Miss My BMW
By Miss my BMW

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just sold my 325Ci a week ago and miss it every day (2nd baby just arrived). What a great car! My fuel mileage was 34 (hwy + 5-speed trans), wonderful ride and better handeling. Very comfortable seats with the sport package. I think the tool kit and built in flash light are great.

Handling, exterior design, automatic windows (they go up too). Exterior design. Fuel mileage.

Interior storage places are limited. Would like to be able to lock the car with the drivers door still open (like to get out, lock car, and put key in pocket before collecting my belongings from the car)

Wünderbar!
By Tyree

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car! Plan on driving the car for years to come and then upgrade to the newer E60 530xi wagon. The exterior and interior design are flawless. The last of the great 3 series. Plenty of room, great gas mileage, comfortable. Great on road trips. Maintenance is affordable when DIY. This is my 3rd BMW and currently own 2. Will continue to buy only BMW's.

Alpine White and Black interior combination. Steptronic. 184 hp. Easy to work on and for DIY projects.

No problems whatsoever. Typical wheel bearing replacement taken care of under warranty as well as window motors. Hoping one day that BMW will again send diesel's to the states. A 325xid would be superior!

Unreliable!
By Brian

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just spent over $3,000 for numerous problems: A/C - evaporator leaking ($2,400), Window regulator, $450 - my second window regulator replacement! Also, strange thumping sound from right undercarriage (arm bushings?) $500. The next day the service engine soon light comes on and the oil pressure warning. Ridiculous at 69k miles.

5 speed without the clutch
By John

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This was a great car. I had to sell due to it not being practical to carry clients in, but it performed well. The AC was a bit sporadic and I had to play with the control to get it to blow the right level.

I love the transmission. I love driving a 5 speed , but hate the clutch in traffic. I guess the purist 5 speed driver thinks it's a knock off, but the car performs so much better using the Steptronic transmission feature. I can't say I ever drove it as an automatic. The performance was excellent

Obviously...the cost of basic service. Parts are extremely expensive. Both control arms went before I sold it to the tune of $1,000. Having to set the vents for hot or cold air seems a bit ridiculous....When I had to do this I thought it was a KIA.

Great car if you can afford it
By OhioBoy

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Car is fun to drive, comfortable, and good looking. I can't say enough good about this car. Little thoughtful features on the car make it fantastic to own, like the passenger rearview mirror folds down in reverse for parallel parking, there's a flashlight in the glove box charged off the car and the car comes from the factory already set up for a roof rack (my "official" BMW rack doesn't touch the paint). Big things that are nice are traction control (saved my behind in the snowy/crap weather here) & heated seats. Had to have one window motor replaced (under warranty thankfully). Maintenance is very pricey too ($800 for brakes, $100 oil change), as is the premium fuel.

Seat heat has 3 settings and heats up fast. Engine has more than adequate hpower/torque for passing/merging/racing honda punks. Handles better than expected in winter. Little design features are extremely practical and useful. Other than window motor,never had any mechanical problems with this car.

More or better storage for regular stuff (sunglasses etc.) & fold down rear seats would be nice. Front cupholder is a little weird to use with two cups. Car is very expensive to maintain, and requires premium fuel, but I guess that's to be expected with any premium type car.