Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BMW is the choice just need a warranty
By keanuration

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car now for two years and have had my ups and downs. First, I had to replace sensors that amounted to over $1000. Oil level problem, p. driver seat inop, dr. rear window inop, stitching on top back seat began to split, engine service malfunction, p. roof cover broken, paint on hood oxidizing. On the positive side it's a superb road hugger. Great off a dead stop, can really go! Smooth and solid ride without much noise. NO body lean or roll. Relatively small sedan, but still have room in back for two adults. Love the auto up/down windows on all doors. Okay mileage, avg 22 mpg. Bulletproof engine and tranny. Retention of value is great.

This engine seems underrated in power, it can really zoom. Steadfast suspension and road handling manner. Auto up/down windows on all doors. 6 years old but ext. style remains well sought after. The exhaust is tuned just right. Certified Preowned program is great took care of most of the issues.

Standard feature list is a lacking, no CD player, who needs cassettes nowadays? Where are the HIDs especially on a BMW? Improve build quality too many trips to service department. They all know me by name, great for P/R but a bad reflection on their product. $50 deductible ea. service, ridiculous!

2001 BMW 325ci
By PatrickB

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle to own and drive. It is extremely fun to drive and has been very reliable especially considering it is a European sports car. One of the only places it suffers is in fuel economy which is none the less good for the class of vehicle. I highly recommend buying this car and trust me, the 325ci does not want for power and it is not necessary to buy the more expensive 330ci. I must include a word of caution. Since it is a rear wheel drive car, sometimes it can be harder to drive on snow and ice than a front wheel or all wheel drive car. BMW has an absolutely amazing product. Test drive one and see what a great all around car it is.

I love the rain sensing windshield wipers and the mirrors that dim when someone behind you has their brights on (bear in mind these are available in the premium package.) The Harmon Kardon stereo is also fantastic and the flashlight that charges itself in the glove box is handy.

I think this car is a great car overall but when the roads are snowy and icy, the rear wheel drive simply does not fare as well as all wheel or front wheel drive. Also, the fuel economy is not the absolute greatest but it is not bad. (22/29 or so).

Like true love, I'm head over heels.
By True Love!

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Now, I've only had my 2001 BMW 325i for a week, and who knows what will happen, mechanic wise. But, I have never had a car that made me grin ear to ear like my BMW has. Even though I bought it as a used car, the car looks brand new, and feels brand new. Acceleration is smooth and has good pick up especially in higher RPMs. Fantasic exterior, and interior! That being said I can tell already my rear pasgr window is sticking, and will probably need to be replaced! Lucky for me 2 year factory warranty for 3G was not something I was going to gamble with! So, off to the shop in probably in a month! But, it dosn't change the fact that my BMW is the most fun car I've ever driven.

Sports package interior, and steering wheel, as well, as the upgraded speaker system. Can't say enough about the body design! Nothing out there that compares.

Have none yet.

Compromises with Few Compromises
By VA22204guy

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this car with 44k miles. Has nearly every option available (sport pkg, xenon, winter, auto). Little did I know how expensive the 50k mi checkup would be $1,400! In addition, I had to replace all four wheels/tires with the horrible Wash, DC potholes. Stuck with the OEM Contis -- mediocre but not too expensive. So, I found the secret to keeping the tires/rims OK: Inflate to 38psi. That stopped the sidewall bubbles and I haven't had a rim problem since (except for my poor parking skills). Since the $1,400 job (two years ago), no major issues. Gas mileage isn't great (city+hwy ~21avg). The best small car I will ever own! Love the AWD, handling, engine, power. A handsome car.

Handling, AWD, the stereo system -- the HarmonKardon plays beautiful music without bass bloat. I like the rear CD changer. The lack of a compression circuit on the CD, though, is very annoying. Beautiful body lines -- a classic. Fold down seats a huge plus!

Environmental controls are poor (temp isn't full auto -- A/C is manual), defroster button either blasts or nothing, weak rear defrost; tempermental tire package, sport seat lumbar support is still too much even at lowest setting, seat heater is too strong even on the lowest setting.

Most fun and comfortable to drive.
By Edward

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Best handling car and most comfortable to sit in for long drives that I have ever owned (including Lexus, Benz, and Toyota). Most costly I've ever owned to maintain other than Benz.

Convertible top, handling on curves outstanding, acceleration, and THE quietest convertible on the market; I've been in noiser sedans (wind, etc.).

It's the little electrical and mechanical flaws that happen that cause a high cost of ownership and aggravation or I would have given the car all 10s.