Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 203 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Performance, Luxury, Well thought out
By George

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Picked up with European Delivery Program (still frustrates me everyday that American drivers do not have the competence and courtesy of the Germans on the road). As with any car, maintenance will be required. Due to volume production of the e46, parts are very reasonable and you can save $$ if you have some mechanical inclination. Everything on the car is easy to work with and finely engineered. Now with 150k miles since new, the car still feels tight and solid, even after front end collision caused by erroneous driver. Airbag deployed, very little damage. The larger Ford excursion SUV didn't fare as well. I still trust the car to protect my family--no other make will suffice for me.

BMW has always been ahead in their tech . Even for 10 yrs old, homelink, memory seats, rt mirror fold down, bluetooth/ipod upgradeable, xenon lights, traction ctrl, 5spd auto,remote window roll down--some of these just now appearing in mainstream cars. No substitute for the sublime inline 6 engine.

As with any car, there will be some issues prevalent for certain years. Respect that and you will enjoy the drive experience. There is no comparison. That's why the 3-series tops on all comparison tests. Proper maintenance is most important. Newer models-very nice, but I am still thrilled w/mine.

Great car until it needs maintenance
By LtBill

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner. It is garage kept and only has 71,000 miles. I have really enjoyed it - it still looks almost new. However, like other reviewers, I have had maintenance issues - all 4 window regulators broke early on (was told they are made by a vendor of BMW), both headlights and three turn signal bulbs replaced, windshield wiper fluid reservoir leaked and was replaced. Also have creaking and thumping of frame which my mechanic could not diagnose. Now I may need the bushings replaced and the ABS may also need to be replaced - over $5,000 for both in addition to normal maintenance. If it comes to that I will be looking for another car. I do not trust it long term.

power, performance, styling, safety

Components should last as long as their Japanese counterparts.

Impressed
By Lance

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This fun little gas sipper has changed my mind about BMW. I always thought of them as an overpriced equivalent to Volkswagen. First, The power to weight ratio is great. Secondly, the ride and handling is sporty enough to zip around country roads in but not so stiff you can't enjoy a long haul on the interstates. Lastly, the fuel economy is astounding. I get 33-35 MPG highway and an overall average of 25.7. I don't baby it or drive it like it's stolen, I just drive it the way one should. Maintenance has not been horrible. A new set of tires (touring 4 season) $600 with line up, window regulators $200 each installed, oil changes are $80 for BMW filter and full synthetic oil (15,000 mi).

Excellent daily driver for anyone looking for a smaller sedan with a good build quality and resale value. This has been a fun car to own and drive.

The auto climate control is just less than perfect. The back seat passengers do not have vents. Also, you must select a/c even in 'auto' mode. The oem window regulators use plastic pulleys that wear out. Prepare to spend $200-250 per window when they go out. I lost 3 in two weeks!

Fantastic Car
By tom mcguire

2000 BMW 3 Series 323iT 4dr Wagon

I have put all 160,000 miles on this car and except for items that go on any car, like brakes, belts, etc it has not had any serious problem except that the sports shift mode hasn't worked in 2 years. Never uses a drop of oil, gets 31 mpg at a steady 75 and I always feel rested after driving it. While it has not been garaged it still looks brand new as I wax and seal each year. Great car and in 40+ years of driving I have driven the best cars available and some dogs along the way. BMW's have become too complex, but I am buying a new 3 series soon and giving this car to my daughter. Buy one and you'll see.

Handling, fuel mileage and snarl when I put my foot into it.

More carrying room in back of station wagon - pretty puny with seats up.

Buy a ford Instead
By WEA in TEXAS

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW. It has been a reliability and maintenance nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And it has been properly maintained. The car hasn't gone four weeks in a row without requiring major work. To date all four window regulator have had to be replaced, all six ignition coils, both cam sensors, the MAS, both front control arm assemblies, the transmission had to be replaced, the o2 sensors, and the list goes on and on and the damn engine light is still on. Average cost for repair and maintenance per year $3,000.00. My Ford F150 has 200K on it and it has only required one O2 sensor, tires, a battery, and oil changes.

Driving it when it runs which is rarely.

Scrap the design, fire the union workers, start from scratch.