Used 2000 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BMW Does Not Equal Quality
By BMW = Quality???

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 32 year old financial planner. Owned a Honda and two Toyota's before deciding to buy THE car. I bought a used 2000 328i with 45k miles on it two years ago. It now has a little over 100k on it. It still runs great, feels great, looks great, it's a real joy to drive. BUT the maintenance costs on this car are crazy. Sensors, computers, brakes, thermostat. I've probably spent an additional $3,000 in the last 12 months on maintenance issues. I finally found a local shop that works on them rather than getting robbed at the dealership for every little thing. Fun car to drive, expensive to own.

Great ride! Very comfortable. Gas mileage is good. And it's still great to look at.

The long term reliability of this car is a real downer.

Unreliable
By UnhappyBMWowner

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 33,000 miles. This is my second, and how disappointed I am. Way too many problems, with everything from the windows to the braking system, to the engine and etc. 14 trips to the dealer for repairs since 10/2003. I would never buy another, and am looking into an Audi or Mercedes. I do have to admit the the MPG is awesome, at times I have clocked 40+. BMW is not what it used to be!! BMW really needs to work on the reliability. This car is way too expensive to maintain!

Radio controls on the steering wheel, the handling around turns on my country roads and most definitely the MPG.

Window mechanics, braking mechanics, and just some good old reliability!!

Great car but high maintenance
By Kman

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I do like my BMW but after 5.5 years and 70K miles the car is not what it was 3 years ago. Everything is breaking down and am having the worse time with the car. After the first 3 years it’s been in the shop many times to fix all kinds of stuff. I agree that its fun to drive but with all the troubles I have been having it’s not worth buying the car. If you have lots of money to waist then go ahead and buy the car else do not purchase this car.

Windows system, computer, all sensors, breaking system, stabilization system, speakers, interior trims, etc...

5 month review
By Hootie361

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Time for the 5 month review. Highly recommend buying the service manual and an error-code reader ($250 total for both). My car had little things, such as bulbs, sensors, filters degrade and required replacing. These cars are CAKE to work on so long as you have the service manual. Most repairs require very basic tools and a couple hours of patience. My first winter encountered no driving problems, even on snow-covered roads. The DSC kicks in as needed to keep the vehicle from slipping, even with all- season tires. I still can't get enough of this auto...

The ease of which you can work on this car. Mechanics must make a fortune off these repair jobs. This is honestly the most efficiently assembled car I've ever seen. I plan on doing my own inspections with help from the service manual.

Turn signal bulbs require a little effort to access, as opposed to the headlight bulbs that just pop off as needed.

Slack-jawed
By Hootie361

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I finally understand why people
take "joy rides" in their cars. The
performance of this sedan is superb on
the twisting, dipping, back-country
roads near my residence. The engine
power is impressive, the transmission
shifts are smooth, the tires hug the
road, the breaks stop on a dime...the
car lives up to the title of "ultimate
driving machine". For high speed
driving, I recommend a high-end set of
tires...my all season's transmit
vibrations starting at 85mph (but
disappear around 100mph). The car is
absolutely convenient, only had 2
minor (<$20 fix) problems so far.

Tiptronic transmission, auto-sensing and power everything, aesthetic appeal, 22mpg average, after-market customizing options. May as well be honest...the pure sex appeal of this car. To understand the enthusiasm, just drive one.

Rear-seat cup holders, more trunk space or fold down rear seats (available in newer models), longer warranty period (just incase), a stereo system with easily upgradable components. A built-in radar detector.