Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 203 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

323CI
By bdds042004

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

This is an okay car, but I would not buy another one. I could write a book on the small problems I have had with this car over the las few years.
But I can say the engine is one tough son of a gun.

I love the fact is a 5 speed and it gets good gas lmileage. I put a set of 19 inch rims on it in Germany and it takes coner very easy. Love that it has the all the phone and radio controls in the steering wheel. I has to also say that if you have a problem with the car lights or anyother problem a light will show up on the dash. I can't for get one of the best things is you can let all the windows down at one time with a push of a button.

I would like to see the leather improved. The cheap plastic knobs to open the windows. The car is not good at all when driving in snow. The cheap plastic wood trim. The repair cost is to high for a car that is this old. Oil change at dealer 165.00 really.

one problem after another after 100K miles
By 1timebmw

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

Almost like clockwork, after she hit 100K miles things started malfunctioning. First the blower resistor ($280), then the "no reverse" transmission ($3600). What's next? Repairs are more than the car's market value.

2000 323ci bled my bank account
By atticrat

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I inheirited a 2000 BMW 323 ci that was a low mileage car. It had all the bells and whistles to boot. Initially I thought it was a fairly distictive car until all of the EXPENSIVE problems crept up. With only 25,000 on the odometer I had to replace so many things it was just ghastly! Sunroof problems, A/C ventilation (electrical) problems, window motor failure, suspension bushings, oil leaks, auto transmission problems and the interior began falling apart. After living with this car for a couple of years I tired of its stiff ride, road noise, creaks and rattles, stiff steering and spongy brake pedal. Also the hard seats were the worst I ever sat in, game me back aches. BMW=WAY OVERRATED!

Small size, good visability and reasonable gas mileage. And it had good headlamp optics.

Horrible spongy brake pedal feel and touchy brakes; stiff steering lacking road feel; cheap interior materials fall apart; sport seats kill your back; stiff, noisy ride (this is luxury?); useless back seat; sunroof has a mind of its own then decides to die; quick battery run down; auto transmission is troublesome; oil leaks; so many electrical failures. If you want a BMW make sure it's leased then dump it! BMW's are the most overrated automobiles from here to Timbuktu!

Fun with Opportunities to Repair
By briodo

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW, bought used at 80k miles, now has 134K miles and it's falling apart.
While the car is a blast to drive, it has cost me more over the last 2 years than the car is worth.
And it now needs the CVC valve replaced, quoted at $900, far from the amount in the reliability section.
If the car starts honking, you know this valve is gone.

C'est la vie; fast cars, pretty women, and good wine.
It somehow will not be as much fun in a Toyota.
Just cheaper.

hitting the gas at 75 on the interstate and finding out you can get to 110 really fast.

Less plastic parts to become brittle and break.

BEWARE FRAME Issue on all E46 models BEFORE You Buy
By stockman77

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I've owned 7 BMW's, 3-E46s and have only learned recently that all E46s had a Class Action law suit for a defective frame build. I just bought my 323ci 6 months ago & after an inspection was told my frame is cracked and in need of repair.
BMW initially told me they weren't going to offer any assistance until I mentioned litigation and now they are "determining" what they'll do if anything beyond what I was told thus far. I bought this car because I know the 3-series very well and have come to depend on BMW's brand but NEVER would've bought the car, without a detailed frame inspection at least, had I known about this immense problem.
The Repair is about DOUBLE what the car is worth.

Style, build, reliability (except for frame care), driving experience.

Better Customer Care & Disclosure about the problem to any prospective buyers. The Frame issue is a known issue at this point although there's little on the internet about it unless you know what to look for. All VINs should be associated with a frame warning which should be reflected on Carfaxs etc.