Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 204 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

One year later
By luvmysunz

2000 BMW 3 Series 323iT 4dr Wagon

Bought my 323it a year ago and I love it more than the day I drove it off the lot! Best car I have ever owned..hands down. The handling in city driving can't be beat - smooth acceleration, precision steering. The ride is still quiet and in no way feels like there are 52,000 miles under its wheels. Weekend getaways are a joy. With the roof rack system we purchased for luggage carrying, it is actually more roomy inside on these trips than my 4Runner was. And the drop down separator in the back seat has been a lifesaver with two boys under 13! Love it, love it, love it.

Handling, back seat separator, cargo net, just a blast to drive.

more storage in front seat for CDs, etc., otherwise, it's perfect

Good, Stressful 14 months of Ownership
By Zachtank

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Buying this car was a big step up from my 92 Honda Civic and as far as vehicular performance, I have no complaints. The fuel mileage is unparalleled for a 2.5L 6-cyl. The handling is taut, and the power is more than sufficient. There is so much fun gadgetry that you discover a new "favorite feature" every day for the first two months of ownership. When I show the car it takes an hour to cover the wonderful bits and pieces and I always forget a couple favorites. HOWEVER, I am selling it. If you're a tightwad like I am, the expensive maintenance, and more exhorbitant repairs will induce a coronary with every squeak and rattle, and in spite of it's solid feel, there are many. Too much $.

Xenon makes the world light up. Logarithmic MPG gauge - so nice! Climate control with automatic recirculation. Dynamic Stability Control. Smooooooth transmission. Auto-dimming rearview. Central locks and windows W/ ONE TOUCH CLOSURE!! Base speakers are quite impressive. Mileage/HP tradeoff

BMW is so internally focused, I actually had my car fail a BMW inspection, not because anything was WRONG but because brake pads were "aftermarket" Cost of parts, repairs, even diagnostic is insane at BMW dealer. $1000 for Water pump, thermostat, and accesories belt? Please!

5 month review
By Hootie361

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Time for the 5 month review. Highly recommend buying the service manual and an error-code reader ($250 total for both). My car had little things, such as bulbs, sensors, filters degrade and required replacing. These cars are CAKE to work on so long as you have the service manual. Most repairs require very basic tools and a couple hours of patience. My first winter encountered no driving problems, even on snow-covered roads. The DSC kicks in as needed to keep the vehicle from slipping, even with all- season tires. I still can't get enough of this auto...

The ease of which you can work on this car. Mechanics must make a fortune off these repair jobs. This is honestly the most efficiently assembled car I've ever seen. I plan on doing my own inspections with help from the service manual.

Turn signal bulbs require a little effort to access, as opposed to the headlight bulbs that just pop off as needed.

Stylish but over-rated
By surfman

2000 BMW 3 Series 323iT 4dr Wagon

Purchased used with 32,000 miles for less than half the MSRP. Even with the sport suspension this is not the ultimate driving machine. The 2.5 six is underpowered and the ride can be harsh. I like the look of the wagon body, but the styling is a bit fussy. The interior is comfortable but uninspired. Would never buy an overpriced new one. I still have my 94 Honda Accord wagon which continues to impress me.

Heated sport seats, nice hunkered down look, smooth braking power.

Better interior styling and packaging, More powerful engine, longer lasting brakes, power windows that don't break, less plastic trim at door sills and hatch, more back seat leg room.

Pay the Piper
By cookieman

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

BMW sure has their act together in terms of building a car that performs flawlessly, is a gas to drive and is comfortable on any length trip. I've driven up to 12 hours at a pop in my 328 and get out feeling great. The engine is increadbly responsive and the handling is impeccable. I've driven it for nearly 37,000 miles and the driving experience has been excellent.Unfortunately, BMW doens't seem to know how to build a reliable car. I've had problems with door lock mechanisms (couldn't get in the car), the throttle body (car quit on the interstate at 80 mph), the door trim and now it needs $1000 worth of front end work (control arms, control arm bushings and front stabilizer link).

The engine responsiveness and power band is impressive. The handling is probably as good as it gets in a street car.The interior has everything well placed and the car fits like it's part of you. The sound system is just okay, but i don't get in my car to hear great music.

Redesign the front suspension so it lasts longer than 36K mi.Use a polyurethane or epoxy paint that isn't going to chip like crazy.