Used 1998 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun car but watch out for maintenance
By B-Man68

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A lot of fun to drive but maintenance costs are very high. When my transmission went out I learned that BMW claims the earlier 328's have a "lifetime transmission" with a "lifetime fill" of fluid and do not recommend a tranny service. I followed the recommended maintenance to a T and never had the tranny serviced. Replacing it cost me over $4k. Had I had it serviced it would not have failed when it did. BMW now recommends a tranny service on newer models but still not on the older ones. Even the fluid mfg's recommend changing the fluid. Where BMW came up with the "lifetime" claim is beyond me. I ended up getting the money I spent on the new tranny back through small claims court.

The get up and go especially from around 40 or 50 mph to higher speeds; a fun car to drive

Maintenance costs are ridiculously high; BMW has limited maintenance guidelines and following them may lead to premature failures of various components, especially the tranny - I have talked with several people with the same problem; BMW customer service is about as arrogant as they come.

Thrill to drive
By David C.

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car is a thrill to drive. Even though it is six years old, it still looks and drives like a new car. The biggest thrill is with the top down. Very little wind in the front seat. All the great accesories are included with the car. Very well built and low maintenance car. Great gas mileage. This is my second BMW and it won't be the last. The car handles great and has good acceleration. The only draw back is there isn't much room in the back seat. This is a great car.

My favorite features are the car being a convertible with a power top and the comfortable ride in the leather seats. Also the 6-disk cd changer with Harmon Kardon sound system.

None....other than maybe a little more leg room in the back seat.

I have driven alot of cars.....
By falkonv7l

1998 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

And this one ROCKS!!! The most pleasant
car I have ever driven. I have the
sport pkg, constantly in contact with
the road yet the suspension is not
rough, the grip is amazing, the
steering is on par with a Porsche! This
is truly a drivers car. The chasis is
as stif as the day it was built (now I
have over 80k miles) Oh did I mention
it is a very good looking car as well!

Smooth Inline 6, dual climate control, dual heated seats, sport suspension, steering, feel of the road, style, fantastic gas mileage, one A+ car!!!

A tad more power. Germans do not mix with cup holders, and I hope they never will! Power seats? Alarm goes off when I use the key instead of the remote. And warning lights when the door is Ajar.

1998 BMW 318ti Sport
By BB Fan

1998 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Exception handling and braking. Great
gas mileage. Sports package is
exception and car looks great. Car is
fun to drive and is a real head turner.

Heated seats, factory warranty and overall reliability.

BMW should bring back this model.

I love that car!!!
By HL1981

1998 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

This car is so fun to drive!