Used 1998 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My first bmw
By victorrrq

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

The car is fantastic...when its fixed. When I first bought the car it was all right, but when the warrantee ended, I was forced to go fix the car. Cooling problems, electrical problems, I probably spent over 10g's of repairs and upgrades to the car. I love the car but the repairs for it are a...you know what. And the car is awful in winter, but that could be fixed with newer winter tires.

I love the power of the inline 6. the engine will push if you need it to. And the stability on the car is amazing, weaving through traffic never been so much fun. I have total control of the car.

Improvements? Not much to say but I'm a young adult and I'd rather not have the wood looking interior. I'd rather have carbon fiber haha.

SPORTS CAR QUALITY BUILT
By BMWOWNER

1998 BMW 3 Series 323i 2dr Convertible

The biggest thrill is with the top down. Very little wind in the front seat. All the great accesories are included with the car. Very well built and low maintenance car. Great gas mileage. This is my second BMW and it won't be the last. The car handles great and has good acceleration. The only draw back is there isn't much room in the back seat. This is a great car.

It sticks to the ground like a great sports car.

COULD USE A GLASS BACK WINDOW

Drive a BMW and you'll see why!
By GearHeadPeter

1998 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I am a car guy as I have 60' & 70's muscle cars. I bought this car in Sept. of 2003 with only 35K on it. This is the best car to have fun in. It has great power for I6, the HK stereo and CD changer are awesome. The only problems I had was the taillight warning light telling me I had a burned out bulb. I found out by using Google that it is related to a faulty Stop light switch, which I replaced for under $20 and never had a problem since. I like one or two others have had a auto transmission problem when serviced but it was covered under the extended warranty, 4 years unlimited mileage, and only cost me $75 for a new transmission. Too Cool!

Being able to put the auto in manual mode, take off the traction control and shift the car. The HK stereo is fantastic, and since I have made some performance upgrades the car is even more fun to drive, if that is possible.

The cup holders are bad, but the Germans believe that driving a BMW should not be distracted by drinking coffee or soda.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Dell Sanders

1998 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This car had about 40,000 miles on it when I bought it under the Certified Pre-Owned program - that has turned out to be the best car-buying decision I ever made. I LOVE THIS CAR !! It now has over 104,000 miles on it - I've driven it back and forth across the entire country several times and there was never a problem. BMW really has a way of making you feel at one with the car like no other carmaker seems to be able to duplicate. Maintenance costs have been average with no expensive surprises. Everyone is amazed at how clean the engine always stays, and at how shiny the original paint still is, although I've lived both in dry desert areas and very cold climates. Again - I love this car!

Great styling - sporty yet elegant inside and out. I love the acceleration and throaty exhaust sound. The steering is absolutely perfect - praises to BMW !! The seats are very comfortable for a smaller car and do not hurt your back on long trips like sooooo many other cars it's size.

The cupholders are absolutely ridiculous - but if I were a carmaker and the only complaint was the cupholders, well then I guess I'd be pretty content, as BMW should be!! And besides, drinking a beverage is the last thing on your mind when you're racing around a hair-pin turn....

Amazing
By gabe dietz

1998 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Black on black with tinted windows and a sun roof... ohhhh yea! This car drives amazing. I bought it with 59k on it a year and a half ago and now it has 72k. It feels like it will be good for another 100k. The only problem I have had with it was a failed catalytic converter, which was still under warranty. You will not find a better car for the money. Great performance and good gas mileage...I get just over 30 mpg on the highway and 25 in the city and the car takes regular 89 octane gas! If you want a sports car that is still somewhat practical, this car is perfect.

Definitely get the Harmon Kardon sound system and the trip computer. This is the smoothest manual transmission I have ever driven.

What's up with the cup holders!? Germans apparently have never heard of soda cans or coffee cups.