Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I'm never selling this car!
By Ken

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Well, I purchased this 1997 328i in 1999 as a dealer leftover that had been sitting on the lot for a very long time. I got a heck of a deal on it. I have driven it on and off for the past 11 years and when I'm not using the car, it's garaged. The black paint shines like the day I got it. The interior shows almost no signs of wear aside from the drivers floor mat. No cracking of the leather, etc. I have had NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS whatsoever with the car in the 70,000 miles I've owned it. Aside from regular scheduled maintenance, I've replaced the brake pads and tires once and that's it. This car has proven to be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I will never sell this car.

Classic styling. Plush interior. The low and mid range torque is great. The car has the perfect balance of comfort and performance. The OEM spring and damper rates on the sport package are perfect! Reliability (I've had absolutely no problems). The Nakamichi stereo is LOUD with no distortion.

More horsepower (I know, I should have bought an M3). A better clutch to help with quicker shifts (you really cannot power shift these cars). Resale value! Even with only 70,000 mi, this car that was $35,000+ new is only worth $4500 today. A beat up 1997 civic with 150k miles is worth just as much.

My baby
By baby

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car with 60K on it whom ever owned it prior to myself didn't take as good of care as I do. If it rains it stays in the garage. I need a new top and the driver's door panel, but with danian suspension and cold air induction this car makes 31.6mpg it is a standard shift and I cannot say enough about it. Needs a new top and secondary air cooler but still an awesome baby handles great and turns heads. It has a spoiler on the rear black with black top tan interior. I have worked hard on the paint and it looks very good these days. I am in love!

Handling, speed, and mpg!

Door panels able to replace and not so expensive to replace the top. The brake dust problem is troublesome since I have two 740 il and the 3 series I know of this problem well!

A lot of car for the money
By fritz

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I own a 1997 BMW 318iS, it's almost identical to an M3 other than the engine which is the reliable M44 4 cyl. A solid car that is nimble and gets 38mpg highway, 24mpg in town, an average of about 30-32mpg. The S version has a lower M3 like sport suspension, wider stance, and mine was ordered with M3 rims which perfectly suit the car without being gawdy. Regular maintenance will give you a reliable smooth ride. Torquey engine redlines quickly with moderate gas but shifter seems longwinded compared to a 1980's Manual. Nice interior, mine has heated seats that warm up quickly in two modes. Multiple cabin vents. May be small for a larger person. I'm 6' tall and fit nicely. Very fun to drive.

Heated seats, sports suspension, smooth shifts, torquey engine and drivetrain. Zippy car in town or on the highway. Smooth rider for a smaller car. Easy to work on. Maintenance is vital for reliable fun ownership. Don't wait for it to break on a BMW, and have it done right if you don't know how. :)

Small trunk even the rearend seems big for the rest of the car.

It's a Keeper!
By Robert

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I am the second owner of this car. It had 35250 miles when I bought it and now 2 1/2 years later I've only put 2000 miles on it. It was special ordered with the Dakar Yellow that was only available in the M series that year. So...to me it's pretty rare. I keep it covered in the garage and rarely drive it. It always turns heads whenever I take it out. Most of the ones like this are beat. I plan on having it forever. I love this car!

I love the color. That was the main selling point to me.

It is what it is...and for the time it was built I don't think they could have improved on it.

Incomparable car for its time
By Johnny in NY

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

The 1997 328i was my first German car and well, they've made a convert of me. My experience with this car, despite its age was extraordinary. The handling was like nothing I had experienced until then, even surpassing cars 10 years younger. Mechanically, I never once had a problem with anything, save a brake replacement, but that was due to my driving more than anything else. My praises for this car are too many to list, but it does come with a few warnings. 1. The car is very reliable, but expensive to maintain and repair. 2. The cup holders are useless. 3. The car handles very poorly in snow and ice, as is to be expected from any RWD car. Do not be mistaken though, the BMW is amazing.

Handling, performance, balance of luxury and sportiness

Cup holders (dealt with later), handling of snow and ice (dealt with in later "x" models) Note: While it is expensive to repair and maintain, I would not suggest changing that, because that would reduce quality, and it is because of quality and the low frequency of issues you buy such a car.