Used 1994 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

What a good car
By BimZimmer

1994 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car at age 21 and drove it very hard. Original clutch lasted until 155k. No other problems other than typical wear and tear. Performed very well for a 1.8 litre. Drove a friends 325is with 100k less miles and the 318is is just as quick as long as you keep the RPM's up (the 325is did have a greater powerband). Comfy car, fun to drive, not the best in snow but made it through 4 winters with heavy snow never going into the ditch. 190k on it now and still getting average of 27.5 MPG driving in rush hour traffic. Engine is a little tired now but it still runs very well. Overall great car.

Emergency toolbox in trunk, ease of using emergency jack to raise vehicle. Air sealing windows. Tight handling. German engineering.

A cupholder would be nice.

Great car, I love it!
By Andrew

1994 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

So far it's been a great car to me and I have a lot of plans to make it even better. Really the only thing that has mechanically failed is the Idle Control Valve (ICV) which produced bad bouncing idle... so, clean yours!

Smoothness of the engine, hot styling. Simply being a BMW.

More power, but I'm working on that.

Ultimate fun in the sun classic
By tshedd

1994 BMW 3 Series 325i 2dr Convertible

This is a great little convertible. My first. The handling and tightness of an 11 yr old car are excellent. Rear wheel drive can be a bit tricky in winter. When I bring it to work on warm days all the coworkers want to go out to lunch in my car! I love the fact that it can seat 4 comfortably for short distances. A true classic in every way, and many have tried to copy the lines. Gets decent gas mileage , I average 22 mpg.

The 5 speed is so much more fun to drive due to it's pick up. Four wheel disk brakes help stop on a dime. Handling/cornering is phenomenal.

Onboard computer is junk (replaced 2x and still doesn't work). Stereo is not up to quality of the rest of the car. Cost of many of the parts and labor. Find a good independent shop. Wind noise w/ top up. Needs more low end torque.

Great (but not PERFECT) little car!
By BimmerBryan

1994 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I have had this little beauty for about a month now. I am so impressed! I have owned American and Japanese but decided on this partly based on reviews like these on this site. The car feels solid and I have not felt the cornering qualities like this since I sold my Miata. Remember, this is a 4 door sedan! The acceleration with this 5 speed manual is awesome! At about 4700 RPM the engine comes on like a turbo (thanks to VANOS). The shifter "clicks" into place, and the exhaust growl is intoxicating! The build quality is way more than I am used to. Everything is so tight even with close to 150K on the clock. Expensive? I work on my own. I can do anything with the online help sites!

The trip computer is cool! The heated seats on cold mornings. One-touch up and down windows. Split cargo-access rear seats. Oil filter on TOP of engine! BMW feel, quality, and performance. If you do your own maintenance, you have no excuse!!

Dern Germans and their belief we should not be drinking and driving (no cup holders). Loose the MPG meter and give me an oil pressure AND volt guage. Uh, let's see...oh yeah. Give me a free 2005 325i for "evaluation" purposes....(not gonna happen, is it?)

What a car!
By Jameseye

1994 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW and it is a good
introduction to the brand. I have owned
other sports sedans in the past but none
have had the performance with the size
of engine that this car has. I feel
like I am driving a v6 and often leave
others at the light.

I am impressed with the powerterain. It is a smooth blend of power and performance with greater than 30 mpg even with in-town driving.

There have been a couple of problems with the interior and the OBD-II computer which runs the show under the hood. The box where they placed the computer is prone to flooding in heavy rains or through the car wash and I have gone in and sealed the tempest box with aluminium tape.