Used 2012 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Still best handling 4-seat convertible available!
By TNTennisPlayer

2012 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Upgraded from a 2010 Mazda Miata GT hardtop to my 2012 BMW 135i M Sport Convertible about 4 months ago, due to need for small back seat for kiddos and desire for a bit more hp and refinement than the Miata could provide. What a difference! Double the hp + tighter suspension equaled serious handling upgrade and BMW options/refinement make the car much more daily driver user friendly. Surprisingly, the soft top is as quite as my SUV on the hwy and ten times quieter than the Miata's hardtop. Tiny backseats are perfect for my small kids but are barely useable for normal adults. Truck is more than adequate for grocery runs and can hold full size suitcases in a pinch. Outward visibility is great, top up or down. Exhaust sounds awesome under acceleration but is quiet at cruising speeds. M Sport package gives the car an aggressive appearance. I do miss shifting the gears in the 6 spd. manual of the Miata but the DCT transmission of the BMW is a close approximation and is more wife/valet friendly. Serious upgrade in costs for maintenance and repairs compared to the Miata, as well---not so thrilled about that! Shopped around and compared a lot of cars but nothing combined the small car feel/driving experience with 4 person seating as this 1 series convertible. Happy with my purchase and would highly recommend checking one out if you have similar needs for speed/space/refinement.

Fast, Fun and a relic.
By BMW Oregon

2012 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my 2012 BMW 135i coupe with 19K on the odometer and am a 2nd owner. It came out of Beverly Hills, California (checked the iDrive locations) and was in pristine condition. It was on a 36 month lease and I found it after it was returned after the lease expired...they drove it less than 7K/year. Thank you very much. Sticker was pushing $50,200 new. Ouch. I paid $20K less. I live in Portland, Oregon and it is a weekend play toy...I have an AWD SUV for work and outdoor pursuits. Even so, I ripped off the run flats and added Michelin tires that are superb in dry and wet. Better tires all the way around and handling that sticks like glue and has a great ride. Have AAA if I ever get a flat, with a 200 mile tow, included. I wanted the 135i before the 2 series appeared with electric steering and 4 cylinder engines...I have had numerous BMW's before and there is nothing like hydraulic steering...and it's all too rare these days. The steering feel is a pleasure and the ride is terrific for this sized vehicle. People seem to be out of touch these days with the pleasure of driving. Sure, there's nothing wrong at all getting from point A to B in a huge Chevy Suburban...but if you really love to drive, fewer and fewer cars really fit that bill, but this is sure one of them. The car is a little rocket and being fast and little, I don't mention mpg or luggage room because that is not the purpose of this car, at least for me. Heck, small sports cars are not meant to be super practical...just super fun and are there for the smiles per mile...and this car delivers. The inline 6 is magnificent...I have added a few things to make it even more enjoyable like quad exhausts, a BMS open air filter then some basic carbon fiber but all very under the radar, nothing "blingy" or that screams "please look at me"! I have also boosted the already powerful engine output to almost 410 hp/400 ft-lbs. torque with a chip tune, that can be turned on-off with a simple push button. I got most all the accessories from BMW and all work is done by BMW certified mechanics, so I have expectations that as well as I care for it, it will take care of me for years to come. Overall, it is among my favorite cars to drive, ever...this and my past BMW V-8 powered 550, which was a bullet disguised as a sedan. BMW's just drive very well. They are fun, stable as can be and very solid on the road. Sure, they don't have the reliability as my girlfriend's Lexus, or the super comfy ride...but when she first drove my 135i, her first comment was "Holy cow, this is a car...and what a pleasure to drive this thing." She does think it's a rather interestingly proportioned car and I agree. I think it's kind of funny looking but I don't buy a car just on looks alone in any way, shape or form. Various factors/criteria are always sought and this one makes my heart beat every time I get in it. I initially looked at Porsche Cayman (too pricey), Infiniti G37 (Japanese BMW copy for less money...no real passion), and the Audi TT (boring). I was seeking a vehicle 2-3 years old, in great condition and fun...I found at least one of each of these cars somewhat meeting that criteria but the BMW was my favorite by far and the one that I drove away in. They say BMW lost their way a few years ago trying to move from a company that sold driving machines to just selling cars to as many people as possible...in the process, they lost purists who love to drive. Numerous articles spoke of this car being their attempt to get back to what they did best in the past...I have to agree. It's not a Costco grocery getter but it is just plain enjoyable to get in and drive each and every time.

You need fun? This car is it!
By paulalee

2012 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I wanted a convertible for the few months each year we get good weather, and I wanted one that felt solid--handled tightly, felt 'close to the ground' when maneuvering, and something that screamed high quality. I hit the jackpot with this car. Everything about it is well made, functions at a high level, and you will still beat everyone out of the intersections! Having this car has been a crutch of sorts, in that when I'm having a bad day and get into this car after work, all is fun again.

BMW 135I
By Brian

2012 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Rockin'!
By SehrGut!

2012 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my '12 128i coupe three months ago, and its everything I expected! Acceleration and road handling are superb! This is definitely a driver's car, and is comfortable for longer trips. An excellent choice!