Used 2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Worthy of the "Ultimate Driving machine" slogan.
By dvanos

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Had the car for about year now, no regrets. As a diehard BMW fan I was afraid BMW was shifting towards too much technology and not enough fun driving. I was wrong, the 135i is just about perfect, and it relives my days of the E46 330 but better. It has the right combination of sport/comfort for everyday use, it's NOT a track car. Get the 1M if you track your car. The 135i is a great daily driver with gobs of power and handling to exceed anyone who drives on the street. The seats are comfy and the interior is typical BMW fare with driver orientated controls. Handling is great with the exception of some understeer. The brakes are superb with great stopping power and awesome brake feel.

The 300hp engine and the exhaust sounds. The engine is a masterpiece with ZERO turbo lag. Steering and braking feel a good in typical BMW fashion. Oh yeah did the mention the engine??

Louder stock exhaust and that's it.

Love IT
By ososdeoro

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's great that the "starter" car is truly a BMW, not just a chintzed out shell of the more expensive versions. Leased a 128i and the engine and steering are exquisite. And while the Edmunds review suggests that one needs the sports seats for comfort, the regular ones with leather are much, much more comfortable than the ones on my previous car, an Audi A3 with the sports pkg. Three years ago BMW navigation had a poor reputation, but the one on this car is great - just as good as Audi's. Standard stereo is fine. Cabin noise is nice and low, with the exception of the supersonic window defroster.

Aside from the obvious, the fact that one can put the back seats down using release latches in the trunk. Since I play the cello, that's a great thing! Engine, feel, suspension, all awesome. I like the looks of the 1 better than the 3 also, but that's just me probably.

Not much room for improvement, actually. Perhaps wider cup-holders, a center console that makes a little more sense (maybe I'll get used to it). Bluetooth as an OPTION? In 2011? Feh.

Really fun to drive
By kyletran

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Nothing to complain about this car, it put a smile on my face every time i step on the gas pedal, love how it perform.

7 speed double clutch, M sport package, I Drive and everything else.

quad exhaust, racing bucket seat.

So connected
By cvandenhaute

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the market for a RWD coupe with at least a small back seat.
My benchmark has always been a Miata and the 128i is the most fun car I could find giving me the same real world pleasure as my former 2007 Miata (but with a back seat).
I like the smoothness and the character of the 6 in line and the perfect balance of the car.
Everything works together : steering is pefect, shifter is smooth and direct with a nice mechanical feel, clutch is light and precise.
Despite its true sport car handling, the 128i is still very comfortable for my commute and longer journeys.
Even the trunk is very usable.
I cross shopped it with more powerful car but this was the most fun to drive.

50/50 weight distribution, sport car commands, Harman Kardon sound system, Ipod connectivity, well designed sport seat. Sport Package is a must, excellent 6 MT, Memory seats also keep the mirror settings. Excellent A/C

Dashboard could be more complete (oil temp, engine temp), Boston leather seats tend to get very warm in summer (I had 6 cars with leather before but never felt so warm), shifter is great but position seems a bit low and far

Perfect daily commuter
By bltwydriver

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in a Volvo S60R chipped to about 340hp.
I've been driving the 128i for six months and don't miss the power.
This car is a pleasure to drive in all situations.
I needed a car that would keep me sane during rush hour traffic, but could still maneuver when given the opportunity.
I hesitated in considering the entry level coupe from BMW, but was pleasantly surprised to see many features handed down from the legendary big brothers.
BMW sedans have always been the benchmark for driving enthusiasts and the Germans finally nailed the media/technology interface with i-Drive - awesome.

Turns on a dime. Power output is perfectly matched. Retains luxury feel of BMW. I-Drive. Makes any commute enjoyable. Heated steering wheel. I-pod adapter.

Offer a diesel engine. This car is my second favorite next to our X-5 diesel. Keep bringing the German diesels to America and sooner or later we'll get it.