Used 2008 BMW 1 Series Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

Screamin'
By rEddie2

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My wife always wanted a BMW Convertible. We assumed the lease on this one from the original owner. We absolutely love the performance of this car, but have been a little disappointed with the quality. The tail-light assemblies have been replaced 3 times, the third brake light lens just shattered while driving down the road. Those were replaced under warranty, but it is disappointing considering.

That engine rocks! It does make up for those little quality issues, because this is BY FAR the most fun I've had driving a car!

Seat comfort

What a Car!
By Richard

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I took this car over on Swap-A-Lease with 10 months left and lots of miles. I get to drive a $45,000 car (which is way out of my league) less than $7000 with maintenance included. My biggest complaint were the front run-flats which succumbed to a double blow out on a New Jersey pothole. Replaced with Sumitomos at half the cost. Car rides smoother and handles just as well. Car is so heavily optioned I have not explored them all. There is no dip stick. When oil light comes on you press some buttons and its sensor told me it needed one quart. BMW told me to come in and they would add it gratis! Service is very addicting.

Power; automatic top; handling, key less starting; USB Flash Drive for mp3

Ditch the Bridgestone run-flats. Sport suspension rides a bit hard.

Great CPO bargin
By SagamoreJack

2008 BMW 1 Series 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 128i stripper with a manual. It has ample room for 2 people or 4 on a quick lunch run. Fold down back seat and reasonable trunk opening allows hauling good sized cargo. It has expected BMW handling, good acceleration and also is a smooth highway cruiser, except for run flat tire noise. The acceleration is OK, not thrilling. It makes a satisfying growl at WOT. Wide torque curve and slick transmission makes a great combination for moving thru traffic and for sporty curve work. Base interior has very cheap looking and feeling plastic. More Aveo than BMW. The large adjustment knob for manual seats is exactly where your foot goes when cruise control is on. Track day soon

Smooth torquey six. Slick manual transmission. Very good handling/ride combination. Fold down rear seats allows me to carry my bike inside. Low mileage CPO and not the most popular model means a nearly new BMW for Honda money.

Base interior needs an upgrade. Manual seat adjustment is poorly thought out. Way too much brake dust. I join almost every owner in saying get rid of the run flats.

Fun, but ...
By jim bruemmer

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought it without ever driving one based upon early reviews which described it as a car that strongly appeals to those of us 'seasoned' enough to appreciate the joys (and some sorrows) of early sports cars. I've owned MGTCs, 356 Speedsters, early SLs, and 911s. The 135i ragtop is a great modern compromise for a geezer who still loves the open road. It is pure joy to drive it, especially on a recent top-down tour through the Colorado Rockies. Power, responsiveness and handling do not disappoint!

Power, handling and all round sportiness are favorite characteristics and fulfill my rationale for purchasing it.

Disappointing quality. So far,both tail lights and the 3rd stop-light assemblies plus a high pressure fuel pump have needed replacing. Thank God for the warranty coverage! Dump the Run-Flats! My 2nd set in 17k miles! Tire wear stinks! $400 to replace one unrepairable nearly new tire! Too costly!

Terrible service, plagued with problems
By 1porscheman

2008 BMW 1 Series 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Where do I start. Oh, I know. BMW does not care about their customers! I have owned to others in the past, m3 and a 2003 x5. My past experience lead me to purchase (lease) my 1 series. Love the performance, its a fun little car. But. My 1 has just under 14k on on it and its been in for everything under the sun. The fuel pump, the window reg. Motor, radio still doesn't work right, you name it, and the recalls. I could not drive my car at night for a month while I waited for recall replacement taillight, and let me add they provided a car for only a week. Terrible service. I have never (even at gm dealer) had service that was so rude, unprofessional, and unaccommodating.

The engine. Its addictive. Great brakes. Love the small steering wheel.

Build quality. Adjustable coil-over suspension. More weekend track toy options. If BMW wants to keep customers it needs to clean house starting with BMW N.A. customer service. There is no customer service!