Used 2001 Audi TT Coupe Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi TT Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Thoroughly Fantastic
By nikokeys

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've read reviews that speak of all the problems, so let me get my gripes out of the way first:
-The interior ergonomics are weird. I'm constantly adjusting my seat to get comfortable, and something as minor as a different set of shoes will throw off my entire driving position.
-The electronic components do, as said, degrade. But as long as they don't fail, it's more of an irritation than a problem. No, I can't see all of the pixels on my trip computer and no, I don't care.
-The timing belt issue is real. Pay attention to it, or you're a fool otherwise. But really, this boils down to simple, diligent maintenance.

I bought mine at an auction house for around $8k in 2013. It was cheaper to insure than the Subaru I'd been looking at, and did better in almost every category except passenger and storage space, which I didn't really care about. The previous owner had maintained it meticulously - he just didn't do a good job paying for it. When I got it, the ABS control module was out, so I had no ABS and no traction control system. I have never bothered to fix this problem. It's better with standard brakes, human judgment and a fantastic set of tires.

Up in Montana where I am, we have janky roads and freakish weather. This car handles great in all weather conditions: running Nokian winter tires (no studs) in winter - excellent traction on snow and ice and Hankook tires in summer getting over 40mpg. The steering is so excellent and responsive it's almost hard to cope with when I step into it from my truck (which has 90's GM steering). The clutch is very forgiving, if a bit stiff, and I don't think it's very easy to stall, either. Sound system is bang on.

This is an amazing car for a driver with the right mindset. I don't think I'd pay the price for it new, but as a pre-owned vehicle, I've never been happier.

Audi TT my dream car! 2001
By Marilyn LaMantia

2001 Audi TT Coupe 180hp Fwd 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No repairs aside for maintenance for over ten years. Recently put 6000 into it, transmission and instrument Pannel, now like new again!

Great little car most new cars still can't compete
By Scott

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my TT Quattro coupe since 2006. Bought it used from a guy that was as meticulous with it as I am. The only issue was the timing belt. it let go and cost a good chunk to get the engine rebuilt (my fault for not changing it sooner)... better than new now. If you are looking for one, ask for receipts on repairs/upkeep!
In the 9 years I've owned it... I've replaced or rebuilt: engine, fuel pump (very spendy there), drive lines, rotors and the water pump(this has plastic impellers from the factory - change out for metal impeller pump). Total about 6K in repairs... but waaay worth it. I know what issues it has had and what has been repaired... no new 'can of worms' in some other used luxury sports car! It is at 124K miles now and should last me another 145K easy! Close to 30 mpg on the highway, 24-26 in the city (depending on my driving tendencies).
I still get people staring and asking about it. I have the Black/black quattro. People are blown away when i tell them it is a 2001! 14 years old and still looks better and drives better than most cookie cutter 'sports cars' put out these days. Not to mention the gas mileage is equal to or better than most 2015 models!
Tis a great date night car with the wife. She still gets all giddy when i 'let' her drive it!

Do not buy!
By yunaluna

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a very fun to drive and very cute sporty car but it's not worth the trouble. I've owned this car 2 years and replaced the temperature sensor twice and the temperature housing. I've replaced all 4 tires, water pump, alternator, battery, shift rod, and had the transmission rebuilt. It kept blowing fuses I'd have to dig in and replace every few weeks. The oil change is expensive. I've spent more on this car than it's worth just trying to maintain it. It just spent literally 2 months in the shop for the shift rod and transmission with parts being on back order and so on. The phrase "cost an arm and a leg" does not begin to cover it. This car has cost me my soul! It is the devil.

Can't believe it
By carguy

2001 Audi TT Coupe 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have read every review, looked at so many different cars and got lucky enough to find this one. I had heard of problems with the car, but in the 6 years that we have had it, it is the best car I ever owned. Knock on wood, frequent oil changes and a timing belt change have been my only expenses. It gets great mileage, is all wheel drive and can haul plenty of stuff. I now have 142,000 miles on it and it looks as good as the day we picked it up from the dealership. When I tell people the how old it is, they cannot believe. I have had a Boxster, miata, Nissan 350Z and this is still my favorite. Is it the fastest or best handling, no, but it looks great and performs well.

Interior fit and finish sets the bar for all other manufacturers. I still have the original floor mats because they were made so well. The stereo is also very good. The entire interior layout is perfect. Everything is at your finger tips and has a purpose.

Would absolutely love to see the baseball stitching available for the coupe.