Used 2001 Audi TT Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Good looking car
By Brian Connolly

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have about 110k on this car now, had several problems, the most serious being the instrument cluster (not covered by Audi) also the rear window melted away from the soft-top with no obvious way to glue it back on. The TT is a good looking car, comfortable and fun to drive with that unique Audi look but with the experience I've had together with the type of problems I've had I won't be buying another Audi.

Ageless look, solid feel, big for a 2 seater

Improve reliability and build

Why my TT will be retired to my garage
By LRF

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had engine problems from day one. I was able to overlook this because it was a thrill to drive. When I hit 52000 mi. Audi replaced the engine. Totally happy driver. I now have 110,000 mi. I have a new car ordered but the TT has the garage for keeps.

I would change nothing.

Make it repair shop friendly not just dealer. It is too costly for repairs.

Turbo Charged Ride
By bill

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, however before buying make sure that the electronics for the odometer, fuel tank, speedometer have been replaced. Original uses an Italian chip that costs almost $1800 for a dealer replacement. Also, the glass wind screen on the convertible has a binding problem on the track that means the entire unit must be replaced at a cost of more than a thousand dollars! Oh yes, and if the glass is broken there is no replacement, you gotta buy the whole unit. Aside from the above, it is a great car, great performance, holds the road equally well in rain or snow due to the AWD. I would buy another one for sure. Get the 225hp, not the 180hp. The extra horses make a big difference.

225 engine, awd and the beauty of the stlying

A beautiful speed machine!
By EX

2001 Audi TT 180hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For the money, this is the best sports car on the road hands down. I've had this car (225HP-Quatro-AWD) almost 7 years now, and I've only had very minor issues. Looks incredible, and performs almost as well as it's looks. I drive it in NYC/NJ/CT, and it can handle the road(one of the worst infrastructures around) as well as all the bad drivers due to its speed and handling. Performs very well in poor conditions, but I would recommend snow tires for extreme conditions. Good room, solid storage for its size, but you won't be able to fit an adult in the back seat. Very well built and durable. I'm 6'3" 225 and I'm very comfortable in it. Nice amenities-sound-seats-dash-controls-very user friendly!

Looks. Engine performance-can blow away 95% of the cars on the road. Handling is its best feature, but the hot engine will always make you smile! Good fuel economy-about 26-30 highway 20-24 city-depends on how fast you drive. Turns everyone's heads-even Ferrari drivers!

Cup holders are a pain, but manageable.

Retirement gift
By Rayman

2001 Audi TT 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Like other owners I have had some repairs but not as serious: lights and winshield wiper fluid reservoir. The major item was the instrument cluster which Audi finally settled the lawsuit. Upgraded shocks, exhaust and intake manifold make the car more fun to drive than ever.

Its design and safety features plus the mileage/trip computer; great brakes.

Reliability, reliability.