Used 2001 Audi TT Convertible Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT Convertible

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Fun Car - Very Poor Reliability
By Justin

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my car with 30,000 miles. At 40,000 miles (5 yrs old) all the problems started. Alternator went bad, serpentine belt replaced four times, tensioner replaced, air sensor, fuel gage gives incorrect reading. I always have preventative work done to prevent timing belt issues (common). The car is very fun to drive and well engineered. My newer Infiniti doesn't have all the special features that Audi crammed into this little car. The top goes up and down in about six seconds so I'm never caught in the rain. Having been a Honda/Toyota owner I am disappointed in the reliability of the Audi since it has broken down four times in six years.

Quick operating convertible top. Best in class interior. Fun handling and powerplant - perfect for country roads. Smooth clutch.

Reliability needs significant improvement. I would only buy a new Audi since a used one can be a repair nightmare. It could not be used for a daily driver imo.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Audi
By Lawrence

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2001 Audi TT Roadster offers great driving performance and very reasonable gas mileage. Maintenance has been a nightmare. Let's face it - for a $45,000 machine touted as a marvel of German engineering, much of the workmanship on this car is definitely on the 'el cheapo' side. Just to mention a few things: replaced timing belt/tensioner TWICE in 2005 and 2007 ($1400 each time). The power top died in 2005 and I don't want to pay $2000 to replace it so I use manual lower and raise on the top. Just last week the window in the rear came unglued from the top. This is not really fixable. Replacement cost: about $3100.

looks cute

Scrap the model and start over.

Turbo lovers!
By turbo dreams audi tt

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The 2001 Audi TT 225 quattro is an underdog in my eyes! With the AWD system launching off the line, and putting you into your seat smoothly accelerating from 0-60 in under 7 seconds. For 30,000 dollars I think it's worth every penny. Most of all there are many performance upgrades for the TT. The Audi TT is a car that can meet the needs of anyone who just loves to be noticed or loves to drive!

I'd have to say AWD system!

A bigger power plant with bigger turbos.

Good looking car
By Brian Connolly

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have about 110k on this car now, had several problems, the most serious being the instrument cluster (not covered by Audi) also the rear window melted away from the soft-top with no obvious way to glue it back on. The TT is a good looking car, comfortable and fun to drive with that unique Audi look but with the experience I've had together with the type of problems I've had I won't be buying another Audi.

Ageless look, solid feel, big for a 2 seater

Improve reliability and build

Why my TT will be retired to my garage
By LRF

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had engine problems from day one. I was able to overlook this because it was a thrill to drive. When I hit 52000 mi. Audi replaced the engine. Totally happy driver. I now have 110,000 mi. I have a new car ordered but the TT has the garage for keeps.

I would change nothing.

Make it repair shop friendly not just dealer. It is too costly for repairs.