Used 2001 Audi TT Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT

View reviews for a specific TT model:

I love my Audi TT
By sydthekid

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm very surprised by most of these reviews. I've owned mine since 2008 and it was my very first car with 93,000 miles on it. Paid 11,000 for it. It's now at 174,000. Over the course of 7 years I've replaced the computer, water pump, all hoses, all belts, 1 ball joint and a great deal of the rear suspension. Most of these things I replaced just to do it. The water pump did fail and I've had many issues with the rear suspension. Over all this car has ran great for me and has been very reliable over all these years. I plan on driving this car until the motor blows up.

It's a pretty fast car and handles great for a "beginner" high performance sports car. It's very safe and will default to under-steer if you take a turn too fast. It's also pretty roomy compared to most roadsters. The stock sound system is great. It will also go in the snow pretty well.

Do not buy!
By yunaluna

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a very fun to drive and very cute sporty car but it's not worth the trouble. I've owned this car 2 years and replaced the temperature sensor twice and the temperature housing. I've replaced all 4 tires, water pump, alternator, battery, shift rod, and had the transmission rebuilt. It kept blowing fuses I'd have to dig in and replace every few weeks. The oil change is expensive. I've spent more on this car than it's worth just trying to maintain it. It just spent literally 2 months in the shop for the shift rod and transmission with parts being on back order and so on. The phrase "cost an arm and a leg" does not begin to cover it. This car has cost me my soul! It is the devil.

Can't believe it
By carguy

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have read every review, looked at so many different cars and got lucky enough to find this one. I had heard of problems with the car, but in the 6 years that we have had it, it is the best car I ever owned. Knock on wood, frequent oil changes and a timing belt change have been my only expenses. It gets great mileage, is all wheel drive and can haul plenty of stuff. I now have 142,000 miles on it and it looks as good as the day we picked it up from the dealership. When I tell people the how old it is, they cannot believe. I have had a Boxster, miata, Nissan 350Z and this is still my favorite. Is it the fastest or best handling, no, but it looks great and performs well.

Interior fit and finish sets the bar for all other manufacturers. I still have the original floor mats because they were made so well. The stereo is also very good. The entire interior layout is perfect. Everything is at your finger tips and has a purpose.

Would absolutely love to see the baseball stitching available for the coupe.

Nightmare to own
By DirtRider

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought car used, 1st week turbo fell off and the stability control computer failed. Dealer replaced and repaired no charge. After that over 4000 miles had to repair, brakes, tires replaced, timing belt and water pump, oil leaks, fuel lines, all hoses for turbo over $2000 in parts! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to my worst enemy. Terrible car don't waste your money!

Looks great, handles well.

Have Mazda, Toyota or Honda engineers design and build it so it would work.

Fun car - lots of problems!
By Airspeed

2001 Audi TT 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought it new, had it services on schedule every time. Once off warranty, started servicing myself, delving into the car. Problems in build and engine design quality too many to mention, and expensive to repair. Once you fix something, something else fails. Those of you having bought it used wondering if the problem was the "previous owner" - nope, we bought it new, meticulously had it maintained under warranty, and it started going to hell in a hand basket nonetheless. Audi's real motto is "Vorsprung durch SCHLECHTE Technik! (Advancement through BAD technology!)" Total miles: 36,000 (I'm not kidding!)

When all works - ride, acceleration, handling, convertible top, overall appearance and style - all A+!

Build quality in engine, suspension, even the frame. Seems it was thought out to be a cool, throw-away automobile. Electronics de-compose, intentionally perhaps (new air bag computer, central door locking computer, instrument cluster, we'll see what's next.)