Used 2005 Audi A8 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A8 model:

A8=Great!
By Roger Lyman

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my A8 a year ago and have found it to be a very pleasing car to drive. The car was certified and in the 18,000 miles I've driven it, there have been zero problems. My car came with 19" wheels but I had a set of 18" from a previous car and when the tires on the 19's were worn, I replaced them with the 18" wheels. This resulted in a quieter and more compliant ride with no noticeable degradation of the handling (for my driving style). The A8 pleases me greatly and I plan to keep it for a while as I don't care for the newer "Big Mouth" front design of the '06 on models. Service is expensive but Audi does sell a prepaid package that is well worth the money. Overall, a great ride.

Interior design, solar sunroof (great in hot climates), ride, fuel economy 21.5mpg is decent for luxury car. MMI works well.

MMI updates should be provided free during service. Offer a digital replacement for the defunct analog OnStar system. Improve nav system firmware, it has sent me on a couple of wild goose chases!

Poor Quality
By Poor Quality

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a certified pre-owned with 25k miles. Has been in the dealer 17 times within a little over a year of ownership: sunroof not closing, improperly designed thermostat (Audi's words not mine), Software controller staying and draining battery ($450 to replace, not covered under warranty).

Adaptive Air Suspension, Body style

Upgrade cheap plastic feeling controls: (blinker, paddle shifters) improve reliability, stand behind your products, update MMI software to latest version before car is sold, swap out plastic parts for metal.

Leader in quality and comfort
By auditogo

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This is best car I have had after owning several BMW models. 2005 models came with bluetooth in later production model which apparently are way more reliable than the one's with OnStar*. The only maintenance I have done over the last year is brakes and oil changes. It's hard to drive anything else once you get used to fine interior and futuristic interior. Seats are best in this class of cars. Check details online the way this car is being produced, all aluminum chassis and adjustable suspension modes provide superb ride quality. I prefer SWB over L because of aesthetics. Rear seats still provide a lot of room. MMI is easy to use and Bose stereo is the best I have come across. PPI is a must.

MMI, interior, voice commands, bluetooth, variable suspension modes, etc.

I 'd like to see a diesel version of A8 in US market with at least 35MPG, that will definitely surpass the competition.

Horrible Experience
By J Ortiz

2005 Audi A8 Sedan quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2005 CPO A8L 6 months ago. From the day I drove it off the lot I have had nothing but trouble. From the minor (ie. remote keys didn't work) to the major items (ie. sunroof, power trunk, console buttons, water pump, head lamps, etc.) my vehicle has been in the shop a total of 3 weeks. The CPO checklist was a total misrepresentation. Most of the items that were bad on the vehicle were checked off as having passed a "rigorous" inspection. I have owned several other luxury new and used brands. But I never had this kind of trouble before. Truly a horrible experience. The final slap in the face is the trade value. All I want to do is trade out of this car but the values are way down.

All wheel drive and good looks.

Get rid of the power trunk and have a less complicated MMI system.

Oh yea
By SSG T

2005 Audi A8 Sedan L quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Just bought a used A8L Quatrro.Man This thing is fantastic. Never owned a luxury car before,and now I know what I have been missing. The soft market on these vehicles put them in reach for those of us with the "beer pocket". I am hooked. Handling is wonderful and the power from the 4.2 is plenty for any American highway. I had to study the owners manual while I sat in the car and go step by step over all the systems. There are a lot of buttons and dials and submenus to learn. If you buy one of these cars take the time to learn it inside and out. It will make the experience so much better

Heated/cooled seats, smart-key system, rear leg room, power rear window visor, memory seats, mirrors, and steering wheel.

No need for 19 inch wheels, tires are way too expensive, road noise is too high for this level of machine.