Used 2002 Audi A6 Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi A6

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

No compromise car
By Michel Aubé

2002 Audi A6 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

It's a no compromise car, it has power, control, style, comfort and safety. Purchased it 82,000 miles, only rode 1,500 miles with it so far but I never experience anything like it. A co-workers owns two A6 with the 2.8 engine, the oldest has 200k and the other is at 150K. Since I take care of my cars I feel confident that I may keep it for a while. It give me about 24/25 MPG if I keep the speed under control which is okay for an AWD. Better than my Durango and slightly less than my Subaru H6 LL Bean. But these cars are not in the same league compare to the Audi.

Acceleration, AWD, Bose sound system with Satellite radio and GPS and the styling is still good after 7 years!

Better cup holders.

Poor quality in a pretty package
By Donna

2002 Audi A6 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Attractive design wrapped around a nightmare of ongoing expensive repair bills for items I have NEVER had break on any other car I have ever owned! Keeping up with regular maintenance does not help avert the $1500 to $2000 bi-monthly repair bills that begin when the car hits around 75K miles. This has convinced me to NEVER buy another Audi - good looks and style are not worth much when you frequently get stranded on the roadside with a dead car and have to face towing cost AND a couple of thousand dollars of repairs. Not worth the premium I paid for poorly engineered mechanics :-(

NONE - anything I liked about the car has been overshadowed by the constant headache of repairs and break downs. Would sell it today if I could but given this make/model's reputation - it is difficult to find a buyer.

Don't buy an Audi!!

High tech sedan
By High performance sed

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I use mainly for highway. I replaced air filter with K&N and new irridium plugs. I now get 26 to 28 mpg depending on whether I go 80 or 60 mph. I have had no problems and this car is built by the same people that make Porsche so everything is high performance, even the brake fluid. Thus more maintainance. It costs to go fast. I recently test drove a Mercedes S430 and as soon as I got back in my A6 4.2 it was far superior in road feel and handling. This is a double overhead cam V8 with 5 valves per cylinder. Ferrari is the only other car company with this sofistication. So if you want a mundane sedan this is not for you. This car is a race bred sedan down to the low profile tires.

Powertrain and handling. Exterior styling. Loaded with features.

High repair cost. But any high performance luxury sedan will cost more than a Ford or Chevy. Comes with the territory.

Still a great car. Better than new
By Tim

2002 Audi A6 2.7T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This really is a great car. I has power, AWD, style and comfort. I have been looking to replace it recently with either an STS, G35, CTS and others, but I keep coming back to it. It is roomy for a family, much more than the above cars and the materials are quality, though not as much as my old '94. It is smooth, quiet and powerful. It is not cheap like most Japanese or domestic cars. If you buy these used with low miles they are an absolute steal. The turbo is great for power and you can add a chip for more power if you want.

Power, quality of materials, style, roominess.

One pet peeve. The gas pedal is drive by wire. So software controls it. If you are a two footed driver and let off the brake and gas at the same time it powers down to 30%. You have to delay at least a half second, like a normal one footed driver, to avoid this. Happens a lot.

One year of ownership
By 1st Audi A6

2002 Audi A6 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I've owned this car for a year now and overall I am happy with the car. The A6 is a pure joy to drive. It is very quiet at highway speeds, is comfortable for long trips, there's lots of room in the back seat for adults, and the trunk is enormous. Parts and online forums are readily available for DIY work. I've had one major problem: the transmission was repaired at 50,000. It took Audi 2 months to fix the car which is just too long. CV boots seem to be a regular repair item for Audi in general. I replaced one at 48k. Other than those two repairs the car has been problem-free. However, I recommend that if you buy an Audi then get one that is CPO or purchase an extended warranty. Check out your local dealer's reputation as they can make or break your ownership experience.

Exterior styling, Bose stereo system, interior build quality (leather and wood), big trunk, rear seats fold down for versatility, 22 mpg (city).