Used 2001 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi A6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Catalyic converter problems
By Dennis

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car as a certified used car. The converters were replaced by Audi at 52000 miles and 69000 miles later I find I need to replace them again to the tune of 2500. It would appear the converters have a problem since I have maintained the car as directed by Audi and have always used premium fuel. I would be concerned about buying a used high mileage Audi. Other than this hit and front end suspension repairs this has been a good car to drive. Please send money. ;-)

Interior comfort and quality. Handling and feel. Just a great riding car.

Improve catalytic converter design and improver front suspension and alignment durability.

120,000 miles and going strong
By Ariba Dave

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I am the original owner and have the car almost 10 years. There were some early electrical problems, fixed under warranty. I lowered the car which improved the handling and as such had to replace control arm bushings at 100k. Otherwise just small problems such as cup holders, window switches and a window which doesn't always go up easily. The paint still looks great as does the interior. No ripping or dramatic fading of leather or trim. Huge trunk. Great set of options compared to BWM at the time. Overall I'm happy and love the quattro. Next car will be another A6 or the A5, or maybe an Infinity G37x.

Turbo power, handling, interior, bi- xenon headlights, rear seat room.

Stronger cup holders, stiffer handling even with sports package.

More maintance than I can afford
By Tim

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought it used thinking I could put 200,000 miles on it. Not so, Engine gaskets and seals twice, frozen turbo, Airbag controller those are the $1,00 plus. Less than $1,000 tie rods, control arms, misc suspension parts, window guides, differential seals (all 3), O2 sensors. Fun to drive , great to look at but built poorly.

Too many problems
By jaggi20

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my vehicle independently from a very nice old lady with 150000 miles on the vehicle and she had nothing more than the usual things to fix like brakes and fluid. I have had the car for half a year now and have spent 7k on repairs so far. 5k of that coming within a week and a half of each other. It is a fantastic car to drive but is not nearly reliable enough for someone who depends a great deal on their car. It has turned out to big nothing more than a money pit for me. So much for all the buzz about German engineering that I heard when I first purchased the car.

Fun to drive, great acceleration and handling. Very comfortable.

It needs to be more mechanically reliable. If the car didn't break down every other week then it would be phenomenal.

Not so good!
By Mayo

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I looked at Audi's for a long time and finally bought it! Almost 2 years later and boy what a mistake!! I was trading in a Jeep so I could get better gas mileage and it's not a big improvement. I get about 18-20mpg & that's 75% highway and rest city. I have had to replace many parts and of course they are EXTREMELY expensive to fix. The car rides nice and looks good but be prepared to spend a lot to fix it when it breaks! For supposedly being a German performance car it doesn't handle that well. 2.7T has good power most of the time but there is a decent delay if you try to accelerate quickly. I won't ever own an Audi or foreign car again, this one ruined it!

Heated seats, Bose stereo and sunroof

Expensive to fix (anything)! Fuel economy isn't good for a car!