Used 2001 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi A6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Fun to drive, but expensive
By Eric

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car in '04 as a CPO'd car for my wife. Love the 2.7T engine, a blast of a car to drive. Comfortable ride. The downside, expensive to repair, seems every year that we've had it, and especially since the warranties ran out, we've had a $1,500 + repair bill for the year. Recently found that the trans needs work, hopefully this will be the last major item to repair for a long time. We bought the car with only 33,000 on it, we've put maybe 36,000 more miles in 6 yrs.

twin turbo V6, AWD

Electrical nightmare
By Darren

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife in 2005. We loved it. We babied it in our garage. I was careful when I wash it. We took it for a drive south down to Vegas. We started having lots of electrical problems. I thought that German cars were the best of the best. Maybe not!! The spot lights, I was fixing, once a week and then the dash display led pin lighting started to go. Then I had other engine lights come on. I went to the Audi dealer in Kelowna and asked what the would be the cost of repairing the dash and it was almost $2000. I fixed what I could and quickly sold the car to a young lady( feeling very guilty). I would never buy another Audi or Vw product again. There is no quality.

Handling, ride and fuel economy

Fix all the electrical problems. Test your cars in the field before you sell them. Learn off Honda and Nissan.

audi = garbage
By steve

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew I was taking a big chance when I purchased this Audi a6 quattro turbo with 109,000 miles given the car's reputation for poor reliability. However, I got it at a great price and was assured from the previous owner that it was well taken care of with all maintenance done as scheduled. With-in 3 weeks problems started, front struts started squeaking, took it to dealer to inspect, that will be $900.00 please. Then a few month's later a/c went out dealer says just $1200.00 please. Then recently all dash lights went out without warning. Dealer says just $800.00 please. Turbo is failing I was told and will have to be replaced within the next 6 month's. Dealer says just $2800.00 please. Never again!

when i finally trade it in will be my favorite feature.

improve the quality in these cars.

The Last Mohigan- 215K!
By Ellen829

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I discovered this site this evening as I am researching new vehicles. Alas, my Audi a6 and I are soon to part ways. We've endured 7.5 years together, with minimal disagreements. Outside of routine maintenance, I've invested perhaps 3-4k or so, collectively. Purchased the car with 27k, and it currently has over 215k on it! (with my occupation as sales manager, it behooves me to hold onto my vehicles). Can I say I've been pleased? in a word, yes! I am actually feeling a little saddened over my soon- to-be split with my a6, but as we all know, all good things must come to an end. The divorce is indeed amicable.

Pleased with purchase overall
By Thomas

2001 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car over a year ago and thought a review would be of some help for others looking to purchase one. This is a great looking, great handling and riding vehicle considering the $4500 I paid for it. It was maintained well by the previous owner and had 130K on it when I purchased it. About 13,000 miles later here is what I have replaced: Aux. Fan for AC - $100, Two Front axles - $150, Front Brake Pads - $68.00, and Two Cam Seals - $16.00 for both. Audi wanted $1,800 to replace cam-seals. It took me approx 8 hrs to repair that problem. These are nice cars that are capable of running for a long time if maintained properly. If you are on a tight budget, don't buy one.

Love the dash layout, stereo, comfort, quality feel, seats...This car drives beautifully. Love the QUATTRO in the winter.

Replacing the cam seals was a bit of a pain. We had to pull all four cams, the timing belt, etc. This really should not have to be done to a car with only 140k on the odometer.