Used 2000 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Love the Car but Repairs are Too Costly
By Jenn

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Overall I am grateful for the exceptional handling, especially fantastic in snow, but the expensive parts and repairs after ~70k miles have me disappointed in the long term value of this car. Just before the extended warranty ran out, I had the AM radio fixed (it had never worked). When I picked up the car I found that the warranty company had paid about $1,000 for that repair alone. Since then I've been spending about $1.5k - 3k every six months on repairs. As noted in other reviews, CD player failed and LCD panel faded at about 80k. The cup holders are flawed. I also no longer run back to the dealer to pay $110 for diagnosing the Check Engine Light that comes on every 2-3 months.

Bose stereo rocks. Quattro drive and Tiptronic are amazing. Handles ice covered hills with ease. (In a recent Colorado blizzard, I was run off a dirt road by a large funiture truck traveling far too fast. The Audi pulled out of that snow filled ditch without a hitch and I kissed the steering wheel!)

A6
By unknown

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

i bought this car 2 mos ago with 83k. i loved it at first. i feel safe in it. i just had the timing belt go before it should have and cause major engine damage. i have heard a lot about sensors going bad. i would never buy another one with out a warranty. it is just not wise or financially practical because something is bound to go wrong because of the notorious electrical problems, and the cost to fix is high.

Feel safe in bad weather. Inside is comfortable and appealing.

My timing belt went at 86k. the owner manual didn't suggest changing it until 105k. Electrical dependancy.

Wonderful Car
By craig

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had my 2.7T since new (6 years) and it is a superb ride. At 70,000 miles I upgraded suspension with Eibach springs, Bilsein gas shocks, 17" BBS wheels and Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. Wish I had done that sooner. The handling has gone from floaty to tracking on rails. The turbo motor is smooth, fast and fun. I can take the care anywhere and it looks great, especailly now that it's lowered a bit. Audi is making terrific cars these days. I love it. Only disappointment has been the brakes. Typical Audi issue.

Turbo

Brake rotors warp quickly.

Quid Pro Quo
By L Mac

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.7T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought the car with 78k miles, to use as a weekly commuter vehicle, between Long Island, NY and New Hampshire, while doing contract work in NY. I was familiar with a friend's 4.2, and figured a quattro drive was critical for long weekly drives, through a Northeast Winter. However, because I insisted on a standard transmission, but still wanted performance, I went with the 2.7 biturbo 6-speed(sport package).

The seats, driving position, appointments, suspension, Quattro drive, and engine are all top notch.

I agree with criticisms regarding reliability issues, and cost to fix. Not for the feint of heart (or light of wallet). That said -- this car (now Dahlback chipped) is the performance cruiser I always dreamed of.

Audi A6 4.2L
By PBW

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Attracted by styling and beautiful interior, and of course, typical German handling qualities. Ride and comfort exceeded expectations. Some quality glitches but nothing major. Still as good as new with 65K.

Styling features, stiff road feel for a large car, very drivable, peppy but not a hotrod. Very comfortable on the highway, better than any other car I have ever driven. And there's that 4.2L engine to get you going if need be.

Quality control was only average, not nearly what I expected from a $50M car, not much different from a Mercedes or BMW or, frankly a VW.