Used 2000 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Glad I bought the 4.2l
By Paul

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my 5th audi. The 4.2l is a rocket on wheels and my favorite so far. Engine has been maint. free other then the standard timing belt / water pump change ($800) at 80K. Break pads last ~40K. Minor non-driveability repairs. Window switch ($110) 2x failed, 5 min DIY repair. Front end torsion squeaks (>$1000). Expensive oil changes ($80). Center display is getting dim. Most fun daily driver I have ever owned. Unique body and interior of the 4.2l sets it far about the mundane 2.7Ts. Great in the snow. Almost as fast as my 911. Find a non-dealer Audi mech., I haven't met a dealer yet that will let me out of the service bay for <$1000 of questionable repairs.

310hp! Body style. Interior layout - at nighttime it looks like a jet fighter. Rear "bucket" type heated seats are popular.

Typical lack of German ability to get the cup holders correct. Nagging little electronics issues.

Fun to drive but drains your pockets
By audi4.2

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with 80,000 a year ago. Its a wonderfull car to drive, i have had majors problems. Trasmission went out with no reverse two months ago.Audi dealer quote was 7000 for a rebulit which was almost as much as the car was worth. If you want a fun sedan 300hp safe in the winter all wheel drive, but it's going to cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars to maintain. I'm in the middle right I've spent already more money than the car is worth. She runs really good now and I hope for the new few years.

300 hp V8, all wheel drive, wide body, Bose system, front and rear heated seats

Gas mileage, cup holders, more storge comparments, cheaper to maintain

I'll buy another one
By padre

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the most comfortable - front and back, best performing vehicle I have owned. 4.2 litre is very good on gas - 24 mph at 7 years old. I have put very little money into it -- brakes and preventive maintenance. Cost of ownership has been low. I will buy another 4.2 A-6 or A-8. I have very little fatigue driving long distances as opposed to my BMW, Volvo, Toyota.

Tiptronic; 4.2 litre power and gas mileage

Stay away from this model
By bullcell

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Problems included: (first two within 3 months of warranty expiration) 1. electronic window malfunction 2. LED dashboard diplay went out 3. Broken plastic in console lid, cup holders, & seat levers 4. Bad CVC joints and suspension assemblies 5. Broken camshaft & blown motor at 84000 miles (no hard driving & well maintained).

This car has been big trouble for me
By swells

2000 Audi A6 Sedan 4.2 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The car is now eight years old but has just 57k miles. The last three to four years I have sunk a ton of money into it. Every time I think I'm past the worst, something else happens. Most of it has been replacing the water pump, timing belt, etc. But there are things I have not repaired that should be, e.g. the instrument panel and AM radio. The information box is barely readable and requires a whole new instrument panel ($800+). AM radio went out years ago - estimate to repair was $2600! I was about to trade the car in the fall but it needed $1400 in work. Thought I would keep it a while longer, now the tranny goes bad (reverse clutch) and the estimate is >$7k. I'll never own another Audi.

None anymore, I have totally soured on this car.

I would like a car that can still go in reverse when it has less than 60k miles on it.