Used 1997 Audi A6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

Good Car
By Peadar

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I just sold my A6--I had it for 2 years exactly. It was amazing in the snow and made wet roads seem dry. This was by far the best feature of the car. It was very comfortable (seating and ride), more so than most BMWs I've driven. The main reason I got tired of this car was it's lack of power. I mean it's not slow but you have to floor it to take a camry at a stoplight. Handling is good. The fact that I could not have a cd changer or deck installed really irritated me--the only way you can listen to cd's is buying a FM modulator ($250). Bottom line is it's a kinda boring car. Thats why I got a 3-series now.

AWD--Has gotten me home soundly many times in the snow. Very safe car, it's a good family car.

MORE POWER! Has the same engine as a Jetta VR6 and weighs about 1,000 lbs. more. 172 hp doesn't cut it. Had some electrical problems with the moonroof and dashboard.

1997 Audi A6 Quattro
By burnedByAudi

1997 Audi A6 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Every car has lemons so take this review for what it is. See suggested improvements for electrical problems. My 1997 Audi A6 quattro Sedan drives smoothly and has moderate to good acceleration at highway speeds (none to speak of off the line -- low end torque simply isnt there). The steering is unrivaled compared to all other cars I've driven, if only there wasn't this nagging hydrolic problem every winter that makes a very loud noise and stiffens the power steering. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this car. I don't like it and it ended up costing me a great deal of money in the end.

Comfort, the great steering (if it was functional all the time), and the reasonable acceleration on highway.

The car has electrical problems which started showing up for me the week after I bought it. Bad luck? I don't know. Electrical problems such as lights going out in the dash and shifter are annoying, but the astronomical price to fix them is over the top. I had to replace the starter when it died at 75,000 miles.

All about the Design
By Daniel V. Payer

The two main reasons I picked my '97 Audi A6
were its AWD and the exterior design. I
live in Idaho and like to ski. This
car goes up the mountains with no
problem. And looks great downtown. I
didn't like the look of the 1998 models
coming out. The '97 A6 is flatter, not
so rounded like every other car on the
market. More like a race car. The
exterior design was what really excited
me about the car. Oh, and the black
color. Very cool.

My car came with every option available on the A6. That's the only way the dealer orders them. But the standard feature I like is the ski sack. Also the tinted moon roof and pouches behind the front seats for passengers to put stuff.

I really didn't buy this car for performance but after awhile I've come to wish for 2 things. More low end torque and stiffer suspension, but not too stiff as my wife would say. German cars have such great feel. But around the corners it could hold up a bit better. I may try to solve this with new tires.

Take care of it & it'll take care of U
By Bavariandream

The A6 (C4 platform) is a great value,
when purchased used. Mine is a high
mileage car (127K) and it still runs
and looks like (almost) new. Keep in
mind that it needs some preventative
care (not just the regular oil change)
in order to keep it running flawlessly.
Timing belt (yes belt, not a chain like
most Beemers) need to be replaced every
60-75k. While doing this you should
also replace the water pump, because
it'll break down at some point, and
this will save you a lot of $$$$. Check
and top off the differential/tansaxle
fluids twice a year. Wear and tear
repairs done: Front wheel bearing,
front CV boot, timing belt and water
pump, differential seal.

The A6 has a smooth and quiet ride. It looks great and the interior quality is outstanding. It doesn't have the low end torque like most American cars, but it's good enough. The high end torque (especially at Autobahn speeds 60-140 mph) is incredible. Good brakes. Quattro system.

Design engine with a maintenance free timing chain, instead of a timing belt. This may add a little bit of weight to the car, but it'll save the owner thousands of dollars in maintenance costs during the life time of the car (250k +). No armrest when (small) cup holders are in use.

Quattro
By Fs2

The 1997 Audi a6 is a weather monster
perform perfect with the "Quattro" awd
system and no 1 can do it better than
audi. Has a great fight at the red line

the red displays, bose sound system, soft leather,

Horse power could be faster with the heavy car,cup holders, mirrors should be better.