Used 2009 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Done With Audi - Got me a Honda
By Mel

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Way too much trouble than it is worth. Love the look, but money guzzler. Get rid of it as soon as the warranty expires; I kept mine way too long. The Final straw, Took to the Audi Dealer in Raleigh for a 360-degree service, they charged me an over $1,300. After a few day, check engine light, and check light bulb came on. (some sensor is always going bad) dealers charged me another $160 for the diagnostic test and told me I needed to pay another $550 for some part, and it could be more depending if they find any other problem. When I had a warranty, I was at the dealer REGULARLY! Should have let it go after the warranty expired.

I traded the 2009 Audi A4 for a 2018 Honda Accord Touring and is extremely happy. Reliability and peace of mind at last.

Love, Hate Relationship
By Mel

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Loved my Audi, but hated when it started acting up. "Awww Bwoy! What does this light means now?"

I love it when it works....
By Ethan D.

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

...but it breaks down too much. Blown turbo. Rear differential broke -- which destroyed the transmission. Random little issues. And then recently the oil pressure dropped, which means the engine is now toast. I bought it used with like 47K miles in 2012. Have had something wrong with the car almost every other year. And now at 108K miles it needs a new motor. That seems like a premature death. So while I love driving it when it works (great handling, good acceleration, sport mode is nice, very comfy inside), I can't handle the fact that I've put in almost as much in repairs as I spent on the car in 2012. I don't think I'll be getting into another Audi soon.

Disappointed
By Ivan

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

motor mounts gone bad at 38,000 miles.

47,000 Miles
By Patrick

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4 door sedan from my best friend (30 plus years) and his wife in April 2015 with 38,000 miles. I was extremely happy with the car - especially the acceleration and road handling. The first week of August 2016, with 47,000 miles on the car - the check engine light goes on and some unholy sounds begin emitting from the engine block. After two mechanics, I was directed to bring the car back to the dealer. After a day and a half, the verdict - motor and turbo are done. The dealer informed me that the motor/turbo parts were a mere $14,000! If I wanted to trade the car in, they would give me $500. Currently, the car is in a mechanic's shop in Brooklyn - it looks like the repairs, parts, labor will be around $11,000. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I had a Toyota Camry for 15 years and never once had to make a repair of that cost and magnitude. Or maybe I would be better off with a Hyundai.

February 2017: Ended up paying $12,700 for a new motor, turbo and alternator from my friends mechanic in Brooklyn. Had contacted Audi and a personal service representative informed me that they would only pick up the costs if I had the car repaired at an Audi dealer. Spoke to a Vice President of Audi who directed me to their service website. I filled out a long, detailed questionnaire and NEVER received a response. My 2009 Audi A4 Turbo is running better than it did before these repairs. I have every intention of using the car through the end of the NY winter and then trading it in for a Lexus, Acura, or a Volvo. I've spoken with many mechanics who have agreed that it is near impossible for them to work on an Audi. Obviously, I will tell anyone to avoid the 2009 Audi A4 and the whole line of vehicles. The Audi representatives exhibited complete indifference to my problems with a 2009 line of vehicles
that had a detailed history of inferior manufacturing problems.
Additional: I traded in the Audi A4 for a pre owned 2014 Lexus GS350 AWD during March of 2017 that had 24,000 miles. I am extremely happy with the performance of the Lexus and the service received from the dealer - Ray Catena Lexus of White Plains. One final telling indication regarding the 2009 Audi A4 Turbo- it routinely appears as a Used Car to avoid in Consumer Reports annual car ratings. I'm aware that Audi manufactures several high quality vehicles but would not recommend an Audi based on my experience with the vehicle I owned. I will wholeheartedly recommend a Lexus & have two friends who have purchased or leased a Lexus based on their experience with my GS 350.