2009 Audi A4 Avant: 4 > 5
July 03, 2009
Math majors relax, values we've assigned to numerals haven't changed, I'm talking Audi's. Specifically, the A4's clear superiority to the the S5 (though this does apply, in part, to the A5, one of which we do not have in our Long Term fleet.)
The board came 'round last night and there were two new Audis available, it took less than a fraction of a second for me to put a big "MM" next to the A4. I've fretted longer deciding between the Smart and the Nissan 370Z. Now, this wasn't an easy decision because I had hauling to do, or because I was heading out with a group of people and four-doors is preferable to two. No, this is was an easy pick for me because the S5 is one of my least favorite cars.
Want to read why? Or skip all of that and go straight to the comments to tell me off? Either way, follow the jump.
I've been in a list kinda mood lately, so let's run with it.
(1) The A4 is more functional (obviously)
(2) The A4's automatic transmission doesn't suffer from the same foolish, rubbery clutch our S5 has. It shifts smoothly and pleasantly.
(3) The A4's ride can get crashy sometimes, but it's not as wollowy and sluggish as the S5
(4) The S5 has one of the best motors in the world, and when flogged hard at the track, makes some nice numbers. But as Ed posted before, you just don't feel that in the real world. It's not like an AMG car where you don't feel the speed and you're doing 146, the S5 just doesn't go that fast without willful and malicious provocation.
(5) The 2009 Audi S5-- and here's where it gets fun-- is ugly. It looks like a bar of soap that's been partially used. It's got some pretty elements, sure. As a whole it's kind of bland. I once heard that Chris Bangle described it as looking like a deflated balloon, I've yet to corroborate that as true, but I'd buy it. The S5 does look like a deflated balloon.
Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant