Used 2009 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Meh
By Anonymous

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Quite frankly, it's hard to be ambivalent about $40k purchase, but I have to be honest with myself, and 9 months after purchasing this car, I can't say it's changed our lives. It's solidly built, but there's a fair amount of road noise. For all the self- congratulation from Audi about the increase in size, it's really not all that roomy. I think my wife's old 2001 Jetta had more room in the back. The MMI might be good compared to options from other manufacturers, but it's hardly intuitive. In sum, it's a solid but not outstanding effort.

The handling: sometimes the size feels awkward, but no matter the situation, you're always in control. Thank you AWD. Also, it's nice that key comes apart so you can take just the metal part with you if you're going for a run or a swim.

The visibility can be tricky. You sit so low that it can be hard to see over the hood (to the front), and the doorsills (to the side). I already mentioned the road noise issue....

Noisy Brakes!
By Anonymous

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love my new Audi A 4 Avant Wagon but very concerned about the noise the brakes make. It sounds like a loud creaking noise each time I apply the brakes regardless of whether the brakes are cold or warm. There is an abnormal amount of brake dust,as well. The Audi dealership tells me that this noise is "normal" and to help quiet the noise, I should slam on the brakes (in an empty parking lot) to "reset" them. I actually did this to no avail. This seems silly and hard to accept for a new 42K car. Also the GPS is extremely difficult to use - very complicated. Seats are not very comfortable after the first 2 hours. Other than these few issues the vehicle performs and drives very nicely.

I like the ease of dropping the back seats, the dual placement of the dog net, bluetooth is great, peppy engine and good gas mileage on long trips.

Upgrade the front seats. Simplify the GPS and work on the noisy brakes.

Buy/Lease a Japanese Car Instead
By Cars are Us

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Audi's 4 cylinder engine - 2.0 ltr - is a poorly designed and engineered engine. It is not smooth and has a slight roughness at idle. The engine burns oil -about one quart every 1200 miles or so. Audi USA says this is normal for a car with an MSRP of $40,000+. Audi obviously went the cheap route and doesn't ant to stand behind its product. I buy or lease cars for their engine reliability. And in this department, Audi is a definite loser. Buy or lease a Honda Accord, Lexus, Toyota- upscaled models nicely equipped. They are far better cars and their manufacturers stand behind their products - unlike Audi.

Audi, good for a boat anchor
By LAST AUDI FOR ME

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Our 2009 A4, 2.o ltr is our 2nd leased Audi. We liked the larger size compared to our 2006 A4. Our honeymoon, however, was short-lived. The car consumed more than one qt of oil prior to the 1st dealer oil change. By the 15k change, the car consumed more than 4 quarts. There was also an issue with a leaking water pump and a throttle gizmo that caused uneven idling. Now taking the car back and forth to the local dealer to "confirm" the oil consumption. 4th trip today. The dealer did say that Audi of America is going to say oil consumption of 1200 miles/quart of oil is "normal." The center LED brake light now broke too. Car is a piece of crap! Buyer/lessee beware! Last Audi for me.

LED lights in front

Call it a "do over". DESIGN AND BUILD A QUALITY CAR. Please sell/lease your present crap in Germany. Is the word already out in Germany, so you send your duds here? Your 2 ltr engine has major issues and your quality control is very poor.

re: update 1/10 "from the outside..."
By Lisa

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Well, I loved my Audi A4 but I had to trade it for a larger and more comfortable car. I traded it for a SUV. Size: People are not able to sit in the back of the car comfortably. It's a sports car with back seats added to it to make it look larger. Try to fit a car seat in the back with another child & you will be sorry because it will not work. I am also 9 months pregnant and I was upset every single day over the lack of quality care that the German's put into the comfort of this vehicle. The driving experience was nice & I really liked both the interior and exterior look of the car. I never had any mechanical problems with the car and the gas mileage was great.

The car is just pretty but for the same price or a little more, I'd buy a BMW 5-series. More features, better comfort & the customer care is much, much better. How do I know? Because my husband has one (a BMW 5 series) & I like it much better than the Audi.

Cushion to support the body while driving; 2 regular sized cup holders; fix the sunroof - too loud at each level; separate seat heaters and temperature controls; auto side mirror positions (pull in & out with a click of a button); auto door openers like the BMW and fix the acceleration lag.