Used 2009 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Great car but not reliable.
By Bill

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 3.2 Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

In three years of owning a CPO Audi A4, I have had seven trips to the dealership with the check engine light. On four separate occasions, I have had to return to a dealership after a repair when the repair was not properly completed. It is a great car, but the reliability issue overshadows other issues.

excessive oil consumption and many other problems
By Christine Hoang

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR AT ALL !!! BUYER BEWARE !!!
We first leased and bought a 2009 A4 car and it uses oil extensively. It did not even pass its first smog check and now the car is considered a total loss.
The Audi dealer said that it will cost $14,000 to replace the WHOLE engine. We have tried many cars from the past from BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus and this is the worst car in our lives!!!
I just read the class action lawsuit on this car extensive oil usage ... it is outrageous and we brought in the dealer twice and they did not warn us.
I hope Audi this review and rectify their problem. This is unacceptable!!!

AUDI A4 ....What a dissapointment!!
By Ramon Albarran

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Do your research!!! I purchased this used 2009 A4 Quattro with 72k miles, the car is very appealing and looks very nice which is what my wife liked about it. I thought I got a really good deal on the car, but now I know why the dealer basically gave it away and didn't push for that extended warranty. This car is by far the worse car I've ever had on maintenance issues. The oil consumption is just ridiculous and just started ticking very loud...I have a 3 series BMW and absolutely love it. I'm going to be trading the Audi in soon for another BMW and be done with this car. I jumped in this car without doing my research and paid for it. There are complaints about this oil issue every where and the dealership will not help unless your under warranty. Even under warranty it will be a hassle, don't make the same mistake!

Update 04/19/2017... car melted cylinder 4 valves out of no where..3k in repairs...wtf audi!!!!

Save some money and buy a Jetta
By Justin

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I have owned more cars than I can count. The Audi A4 was hands down the worst car I have ever owned. I bought the car with 40,000 miles on it. It was beautiful and drove great. As the 60,000 mile mark started to tick on the odometer, it started to fall apart. Every 1,000 miles the oil light would come on. I would take it in and the dealer said "add a quart of oil!" Thank you but is my car burning that much oil that I need to add a quart every 1000 miles or less? They offered to replace the turbos that "might" be the problem... Then the transmission problems started in. A very loud "clunk" every time you hit the gas pedal from a stop. Back to the dealer, "past the warranty, 7,000$, sorry, dont know what to tell you." Apparently the transmission slips into neutral when you stop and then clunks into "gear" (CVT transmission) when you hit the gas. It sounded and felt like the transmission was falling out everytime you stopped at a stop sign. It was embarrassing. It had to be driven like a manual and ease it in. Then the interior rattles started. It sounded like something was loose in the doors, every door. The kicker was when I started dating a girl that drove a 1 year newer Jetta. It was THE EXACT SAME CAR with the same features for way less money. She opted for the manual transmission so no tranny problems for her.
The good things about the car is that it has comfortable seats and the interior design is comfortable, although, coating on the plastic will start peeling off so your interior will look 10 years old after 5 years.
I had enough and traded it in. After 2 years of ownership I realized I could have bought a new car for cash with all the repairs and losses. The first thing the dealer asked when I traded it in and before he looked at the car was "Let me guess, Tranny or electrical?" Sums it up right there...

Way Too Many Problems....
By Mark

2009 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love Audis, and have always wanted one for myself. I purchased my first Audi less than a year ago - a used 2009 Audi A4. It was fantastic for a few months....and then the oil problems started. Less than a year in and I have spent over $2,000 fixing oil problems which are not covered under the recent lawsuit. It really has made the car not worth it in the least. Additionally, the first Audi dealership I went to, had the worst service I have ever experienced. STAY AWAY FROM AUDI OF WESTWOOD MASS! They literally broke my engine hood one of the times I had to leave my car there. Everything about them was terrible from misquoting repair costs to not getting the right repair done the first time. They are horrible.

So yeah, love the car but it's unfortunately not worth it. Go for a Benz or BMW I guess.