Used 2008 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

It's all fun 'n games, until catastrophe happens..
By Arbeitspferd

2008 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have an '08 A4 Quattro 6MT Special Edition S-line. I bought it as a CPO car in 2011 with 36k miles. The car is absolutely sublime to drive in every way, even with the firm suspension. The first year I owned it, I put over 25k miles commuting 100mi each way for work, across a mountain range. The traction control and AWD have literally saved my life twice hitting black ice on a bend in the highway. Very little issues with the car; cruise control module went out, covered under warranty; ignition switch died last year out of warranty, $160 total (cheap). Then one day, accelerating onto the interstate, the engine shut down leaving me just enough momentum to coast over to the shoulder (on a massive bridge, no less). After having it inspected and diagnosed at the dealer, it turns out a high pressure fuel pump exploded, literally. It blew metal shrapnel into the engine destroying the block and fuel system. A piece(s) of shrapnel severed the intake cam chain, seizing the cam and destroying most of the remainder of the engine. The engine is damaged beyond repair and has to be replaced, to the tune of over $7500! Audi has generously offered to cover 25% up front, but I am currently working with Audi of America to see if they can extend that courtesy a bit more. At this point, I haven't decide if I'm going to keep the car after all this or just dump it. Either way, I'm out as much as $6k on a car only worth $11k...
If you want a car that is nearly perfect to drive, this is the one. Specifically the 2008 owing to it's having the new AWD system (which is MUCH better than the old Haldex system). That said, I'd have some kind of extended warranty, service agreement, and/or a whopping fistful of expendable greenbacks.

Great car (while in warranty)
By chaseaudi

2008 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Special Ed. quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car used with about 1 year left on the original warranty. I had a couple minor problems, but Audi's service is fantastic. However, after the warranty ended I began experiencing problems every 3-4 months. These included spark plugs going bad, problems with water getting into the intake, the fuel pump going bad, problems with the brake light switch, and more. These also included my car being stuck in the shop for multiple days very long costly repairs. Overall, the car is fun to drive, but be prepared for a lot of costly repairs down the road.

Loved it while I had it
By hadalotofcars

2008 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Special Ed. quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Not as nice looking as the new A4s.
Not as nice looking as my old 2004 A4.
At 50K-something miles the seat belt wouldn't retract.
The car had miles but the car was only 2 years old.
Audi refused to warranty the seat belt mechanism and wanted me to pay 800 to fix it.
I escalated it to Audi of America and they said the dealer would agree to 5% off!
Lots of little things with the car were wrong at what should be very low mileage.
I refused and traded the car in.
I really loved Audi but ultimately they spent their own customer.
Would not buy another Audi unless they can prove building a deeper relationship with their quality and my satisfaction.

Unstoppable, all wheel drive, sleek interior, xenons were great, superior wet traction - I adored this car

Great Car
By minn55441

2008 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T Special Ed. quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased new in May of 2008.
Audicare was included so I was covered for all scheduled maintence and unscheduled repairs.
I'm now at 40,000 miles and other that my oil changes, my only service was for a rattle in the door.
They found a plastic piece that came loose.
That is it!! 40,000 miles of pure enjoyment.
I routinely get over 30 mpg, it handles great in the snow and it is fun to drive when the roads are dry.
The back seat is a little cramped
and not very comfortable to sit in.
Then again, with grown children, I don't often have someone in the back. I do wish that I had opted for the premium sound system.
I will probably trade it in for the new A4.

Sun roof, heated seats.

Looking forward to the lease to end
By Jon

2008 Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I lease my cars for 3 years for multiple reasons. The most important reason is because I want a dependable car that's not going to break down and is under warranty. I've been towed twice since I got this car new in April of 2008. The first time was when a fuel sensor failed. I was stranded at a stop sign. Audi's roadside assistance was so bad that I had to join AAA to have my car towed. I was told me there was a recall going out on the fuel sensor. With 30m miles on the car the car stopped moving forward or backward at an intersection. I couldn't put the car in any gear other the gear it was in. To Audi's praise Audi's roadside assistance was great. Repair: a bolt had fallen off.

All wheel drive. The car is great in the snow even without snow tires. Lease favorite feature are the never ending idiot lights.

Need more cubbyholes for storage of little things. Recent prior cars were Honda Accord EX and Saab 900s. Both had much more space for storage of things such as maps, gloves, hats.