Used 2004 Audi A4 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Got a lemon
By Tom

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Since I purchased my convertible in a matter of the first year within 7 months I had the transmission replaced 3 times. Recently the oil pump malfuctioned and the engine blew. 2 days later the radiator hose went. 3 weeks later the engine lost power. This car has been in the shop at least 25-30 times in the past 3 years for various things. I finally hired and attorney and used the lemon law which was successful monetarialy but had to keep the car the rest of the lease which is up in 2 months!!! Thank god!! I love the looks of the car but mine was NOT worth the trouble. I have a convertible and cannot use it most of the time as it is always in the shop. Good LK

Would do it again..despite roof problems
By kc

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I wanted a fast fun car for a reasonable price and got it. Had serious issues with the convertible top not working and it took SIX WEEKS during the Indian Summer for the dealer to fix it (more of an issue of the dealer's inability to fix a problem properly). Other than that issue, everything else has been great with the car. I have the sports package which I'd forget if I did it all over again (too many potholes and bumpy roads in the metropolitan area). At the end of the day, I do have to say that I still love this car.

Looks great. Drives like a dream.

Cup holder in the dash isn't always so great for a cup of java. OK for a bottle of water though.

Love my 3.0 cab
By BB

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 3.0 quattro AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Living in the northeast, I was hesitant to spend this much $ on a convertible, but have to say I love it. The performance, handling and comfort of the car is amazing. Can't imagine giving up any of the features. The 3.0 is a little sluggish off the line, but makes up for it quickly with a lot of power. It's so much fun to drive, looks great and is really comfortable.

auto top, 3L engine, AWD, sports seats, the "look"

if something could be done to increase visibility thru the rear view window, that would be great.

Great Car
By Audi Lover

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is the first car I have really enjoyed driving. It is responsive, amazing when the turbo kicks in, and I get positive comments from people on the street all the time which has never happened to me before. However, I have had to have the transmission replaced at 12000 miles, it just didn't go into gear one day and had to be towed. The dealer was great about replacing it but it did take 4 weeks until I got the car back.

The handling, braking, gas mileage style, and ease that the top goes down are the best feature.

The cup holders are horrible and I was disappointed that the top creaks when driving. A friend has an older BMW convt and it does not.

Always something wrong with it
By Kerstin

2004 Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought my A4 in May 03. It was one problem after another. The trunk compartment for holding the top broke and needed to be replaced. The final straw was when the transmission needed to be replaced with only 9k on the car! It had been making some strange creaking noises but the dealer kept insisting it was just loose bolts they needed to tighten. After several visits to the shop, they finally determined that the transmission was defective. In 9 months of owning the car, it was probably in the shop for a total of 8 weeks. I would never buy another Audi. Very poor quality.

Convertible