Used 2004 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love hate relationship
By Brett Duncan

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Cabriolet (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I love the thought of this car, it gets good gas mileage, it's comfortable and looks nice with the top down and it's great at high speeds. What I don't like... The maintenance! It's very expensive, in just two months I had an oil leak, coolent leak, transmission speed sensor failure, a whole new ac, the gear shifter peace spilt apart, the car starts funny, etc. This car also isn't fast enough for me. I should have got the V6 Quattro but that's probably just me. I want to keep the car but on the other hand I could lease a brand new one for the same price as the maintenance on this one.

My dream(affordable) car
By Slava

2004 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and have driven it personally for about a year so far(my mother was driving it before me) the interior is great looking but the material that covers the buttons is crap and supper cheap. The car handles very nicely and sounds great for a bone stock car. In terms of reliability, ive had only little things break like the glove box hinges and window regulator but WOW was it expensive-400$ for a window regulator. that includes the labor aswell. The sound system is great 10 spkrs all around and it comes with a sub built in if you get it with Bose. I've added 19in rs4 rims and man o man does it look nice. performance wise is a great cruiser but not that fast, like 0-60 7-8 ish seconds. a full tank costs about 60 and you'll be looking at 250-320 miles range. The only thing I hate about this car is the steering wheel, I cant really find a comfortable way of holding it since the stereo controls or in the sides but other than that great and car and I would consider buying another one. newer model of course.

Love and hate, go hand in hand for this car.
By Matt B

2004 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

You really have to be passionate about owning this car. Like, to a point where fixing it as almost your priority. There is something constantly wrong with this car. Sunroof leak... ruins the headliner... also to a point where water will ruin the amp.... suspension issues with the control arm bushings not lasting, J-plug cracking and leaking coolant... and putting plastic just where it doesn't belong, window electronics crap out too. It's almost not worth the premium price brand new if you think about it. There is always something wrong with this car.

It was probably best to lease this car when it was brand new... don't get this car used... there is a reason why you don't see so many of these cars on the road.

And as far and repairing this car... parts are expensive and what crawl space do you have to work with. You have to remove so many excess things just to get to what you need.

I loved this car, but it was such a hassle.

I love it, but I hate it too.
By lagdh

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is fantastic... When it works. For all the two years I've had it, I don't think it has worked properly for more than two months of that time. There's always some problem which is hard to diagnose, the problem which then ends up being expensive. This is not to say that it isn't a great car, it certainly is. The Quattro AWD is spectacular in the snow and sticks to the road in summer as well. Performance needs improvement though --- There's very little low-end torque, and there just needs to be more horsepower to propel this 3,500 pound car.
Overall I'd say don't get this car over 100,000 miles, it'll just frustrate

Quattro AWD Interior Comfort

Reliability Performance

Love it!
By caspersim

2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Owned my A4 1.8T for a year now, bought it used. I love it, the cost of service is a bit higher but the car seems to not need service as often, but time will tell. The interior is beautiful and comfy, but there is a serious lack of cup holders...Performance is amazing, for a 4 cylinder car it has some serious power with the turbo, and the car corners like a dream. Handles very good in winter conditions with the Quattro

Handling, look, fuel economy, AWD