Used 2003 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 394 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Just OK!
By britt11286

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my Audi for 2 years and it has been to the dealership for multiple problems 4 times and it needs to go back again. From interior peeling to ignition coils, it really has been one thing after another, mostly little things though. I hate the fact that the 2nd cup holder is in the center console, pretty useless! However, I have to say that I really love this car. It is a smooth ride and it can virtually get through snow and ice with very little slipping if any at all. The Bose stereo puts out great sound. It handles corners great. Could have a little more power, but its not bad. Will get another A4 but it will definitely be the newer 2009 model. Hopefully they'll get it right in 2009.

AWD, handles great, Bose sound system.

Interior peels, Power window failure, 2nd cup holder in the middle console.

Lemonade on Wheel
By Lemonade Vendor

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

First of all, this is the worst car I've ever owned. Second of all, the worst car I ever owned...now you got my point. At 57k miles replaced the CVT transmission ($8K), CV boot 4x, headlight every 3-6months, it goes on. Never will ever buy or own an Audi again, worst than Yugo and I'd rather drive a Pacer.

Handling and convertible but can't enjoy it becuase everytime start the engine I'm always worried what will break next.

Everything...build a reliable car

Love the car, but it's a heartbreaker!
By Erin S

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my A4, which makes it only more painful that it's been in the shop more times than I'd care to count. It's peppy, smooth, and easy to handle on the highway. It's beautiful inside when everything's working. But, it's had more broken electrical parts than I knew existed on a car, and every repair is crazy expensive. I wonder if they fly the parts one by one from Germany! Like others, have had multiple issues with the stereo, sunroof, various lights/indicators, relays, in addition to the dead fuel pump. Tires pop like balloons, and they're expensive, too. An expensive love, for sure.

Interior styling, acceleration, trunk space (really!), comfort, gas mileage isn't too bad.

For the price you pay for these, the reliability is completely abysmal. If you're going to make a car with so many parts that break, at least make the parts and service halfway affordable!

Good car with some extra cost
By Maximo

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow, I will probably buy another Audi, but I will do so more informed. The car is a thrill to drive and relatively good on the gas with out a lead foot. That said it takes premium fuel to push this wagon. Don't believe you can sub 87 octain every now and then, it will foul the spark plugs. If you are a DITYer be careful driving this car on to a hydraulic lift, the sport suspension does not allow enough clearance to prevent high centering. I bought this car used in Oct '06 for about 16.5K two years later it is at least as valuble as what I still owe.

Corners like it is on rails, and the govenor electronically holds it at 137mph I would probably have killed myself in it otherwise. The in dash 6 disc cd changer puts out great sound and the whole system interfaces with the dash display. A very sophisticated car overall. Mileage 22-25 city 29- 32hwy.

Plastic around the door handles is starting to flake which makes the nice interior look a little ratty. Center console rubs against my leg in the driver seat(5'11" 190lbs). The ODB II codes it spits out are a little cryptic compared to other models making it difficult to diagnosis a problem.

Solid performer with great intentions
By Andrew

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is reliable, it breaks but rarely is it anything that you can't get home on. I grenaded the clutch 2 months after I got it (the clutch was shot when I bought it) and sawed through the transmission case, but she still got me home! It is a fast car, and there are many modifications out there!

You can turn on the stereo with no key in (push the stereo power button, something incorrectly reviewed by Edmunds in the 2002 long-term), quattro AWD, 1.8T is rock solid, a plethora of modifications available, very nimble, everything is simple but luxurious, and stock it has very wide tires.