Used 2003 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 295 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Another Lemon Review
By red

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This car is a total lemon. Had to replace the motor and turbo (Audi eventually paid for it after a threatened law suit), electrical system, CVT, multiple headlights and break lights while being told this can be due to "normal" wear and tear. Check engine light is now on for the third time (motor is only one year old) and I have spent $1500 thus far and the problem still isn't resolved. They also replaced my front tires twice before they figured out I had unusual wear because of a front end alignment problem.

None

Better craftsmanship and customer would be a good start.

Great car, but reliability issues
By Brian

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car certified used with 43k miles on it. I have driven Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mercedes. In general this is a great and solid feeling car. Outstanding interior which I like even better than the new models. Strong performance (acceleration a little light), and fabulous in the snow. Great car when things are working. Some reliability issues. Car got stuck in tiptronic day 1. Received flats on 3 of 4 pirelli tires that came with. Antenna had to be fixed, wipers got stuck vertical on windshield, had to replace brakes, fix broken wiper fluid tube, and engine steamed up once. I have never felt that the car would stop running on me, but things always need to be fixed.

Interior (wood trim) is outstanding. Great handling, car feels like you are riding between rail tracks. Quattro is unreal in the snow. Fun to drive and comfortable, great mix between the two.

Acceleration is good, but not outstanding. Cup Holders. Stronger reliability. I now always fear that the warning in the dash will come up and warn me of another issue, and hundreds more on repairs. Costly repairs. I would like to hold on to for a while, but can't accept many more issues.

Beware! Buy an Audi at your own risk!
By jtkoomd1

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

As I drove off the lot, the Xenon headlight leveling sensor warning light went on. I had to leave it overnight the first night I owned it! This was a problem that had to be fixed three times in the first year I owned it. My remote trunk release works only sporadically and I've had to fix it three times so far...this number would be higher if I hadn't given up on fixing this problem. I've had problems with the power window switches, power mirrors, and the memory power seats. At 3 years, the rubberized trim around the cabin began to flake off. Though no major engine disasters (so far), I've had many other problems requiring time in the shop!

Handles well and is relatively fun to drive when it isn't in the shop. But it is still no BMW.

Reliability!! All would be forgiven if I didn't have to drive a loaner/rental all the time.

2003 A4 Quattro 3.0L
By monsterrider

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned the car since new and now have 125,000 miles on it. Fuel pump was replaced under recall and everything else has been just routine service. No problems whatsoever. Gas mileage averages about 25 - 26 on the highway. Quattro is great in all weather conditions. Comfortable interior, excellent stereo, Xenon headlamps make night driving easy. This has been an excellent car.

Quattro AWD; Fuel economy given its performance capability; Bose stereo; interior fit and finish; handles like a sports car if driven that way, or is a very comfortable sedan to cruise in.

Be aware, like many AWD, tires need to be replaced in fours. One damaged tire can end up costing a lot.

Awesome Car!
By Cam

2003 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My A4 has 170,000 miles and is still running beautifully. It is fun to drive, comfortable, and not half bad looking either. Has run flawless its whole life (It has been maintained exactly when suggested by Audi). Will replace the timing belt again soon, though the manual says every 100 or 105k from what I have read it should be replaced every 60- 80k as that is when it is said to break. Build quality is in a whole different class, the car is amazingly sound and solid. Manual shifts smooth and precise. Gas mileage is anywhere from 23-24 city to 30-31 hwy. Quattro is awesome too!!!

AWD, gas mileage, build quality, fun to drive for what it is, space, stereo

The new A4 has all the improvements I would have suggested. The front end was re-modeled, there's more cup holders, and the new engine has the little bit more power that my car needs.