Used 2003 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 393 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Oil leak Problem
By samnim

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

As much fun to drive this car as, as much as the oil leakage does hurt your budget, so far I did spend close to 6000$ on this car in repairs, and yet the issue of oil leak was not fixed. and I was last called by the dealer to tell me, it needs an engine rebuild and this will cost me another 3000-4000 $ and they are not sure if it will solve the massive loss of oil ( more than a quarter of oil every 900 miles )

Stability while driving, AWD, it gives you confidence, solid on the ground

Please work on this engine oil leak problem, as I find it major and problematic

Still happy after 10 months
By bjblackmamba1

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased in MI with 110k miles after my 14 yr old Mitsubishi Eclipse wasn't worth fixing anymore. With regards to comfort and luxury, this was certainly a step up, growing up with only Japanese cars. Build quality, heaviness of German engineering is evident, but not without flaws. I had to put some money into the car considering its age. Maintenance/Repair: Timing belt-$800, rear coolant flange-$200, rear window regulator-$360, battery-$190. Otherwise, it's a great car. Very comfortable, nice features, and a great drive. After an APR tune on the ECU, it has 235hp vs 170hp previously, which makes it fun and adequately powerful. It hasn't had a huge effect on mileage, except for a heavy foot

The clutch isn't too soft or too hard, which is nice. Test-driving a new Mazdaspeed 3, I was disappointed at its very light clutch. The A4 clutch is just right. Other great features include the heated seats (must for cold MI winters), nice leather, luxury interior/exterior and enormous trunk. Handling is great with Audi's respected Quattro system.

The non-Bose stereo (Audi Symphony II) is not the greatest or a very powerful unit. Premium fuel required for the turbo (esp w/ APR tune), but worth the cost vs lesser cars. Even with a heavy foot and 95% city driving, I get 19-20 mpg. Despite being in the shop for the few maintenance items my first 3 mos of owning the A4, it has been trouble-free thus far. Take care of the car and it will take care of you. If considering, be sure to have checked for oil sludge (if oil changes were infrequent or did not use full synthetic), as this was an issue among this line, though thankfully not mine.

106K miles and no problems yet
By abrammicah

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Avant quattro AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My A4 wagon has been the best vehicle I've owned. It's comfortable, get's great gas mileage, and looks like a million bucks. I perform regular maintenance like changing the oil and brakes, timing belt at 100K, etc, and the car takes care of the rest. Only once did I have a trouble (engine stuttering) and the cost to fix the issue was $150. I bought this car used and the value for the price has been incredible. It's safe and peppy. I have no complaints.

Heated seats, turbo engine, tight suspension, responsive steering, styling, quattro all wheel drive.

I'm a tall guy, so a little more space would be nice, but it's a midsized car, so I didn't expect to have any more than I got. If you want a big car, buy a bigger car.

Sooo fun to drive, when it's not broken
By paul

2003 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car new over 7 years ago now. Should've known after 2 weeks when my AC compressor blew up that this was going to be a love/hate relationship. I've had it in the shop for: AC compressor, AC condenser, engine speed sensor, engine temp sensor, power steering pump, power steering rack, brake light switch, instrument panel malfunction, rear window regulator, and of course the common coil packs. And just now, the AC compressor blew AGAIN. And this is only off the top of my head. It's a shame because i LOVE driving the car, it handles like a dream, is great in the snow, but it's just NOT reliable.

handling, interior design (except for the cup holders and heating element), snow performance

interior: better cup holder locations and find another place for the heating element. Right under the steering column is pretty stupid. In the summer with the AC off, you get nice radiant heat coming up from the steering column. Oh, and just flat out, make it more reliable.

Love my car, But
By John

2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased this Audi A4 about 18 months ago, and i have loved it! It's a blast to drive, super comfortable, and amazing in snow! But all this does come with its down sides. About every month it seems like something else breaks on it, from the alarm horn, to the Ignition coils, to the gauge cluster, to the ignition read coil, to the water pump, and timing belt. These are fun cars, but they cost A LOT to maintain! Be prepared!

The Quattro all wheel drive system is fantastic! It handles so smooth in absolutely ANY weather conditions. Love it!

RELIABILITY and cost of parts and service!