Used 2002 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 267 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Downhill After 45K
By disappointed

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 45K miles, my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T (now at 53K miles) began to require very expensive repairs that I never needed for other vehicles I owned with over 100k miles. I had to replace the phlange that connected the coolant system to the engine, the steering rack and pinion, the windshield/headlight washing fluid pump and motor, and the dealer says that I need to soon replace engine gaskets. I do not know much about the mechanics of cars, but from my experience, it is unusual that such major repairs would be required on a vehicle that still has relatively low mileage and is owned by someone who is very diligent with all of the routine maintenance. Wish I had purchased the extended warranty!

Beautiful car. Handles well.

Audi needs to improve the quality of the parts in the A4.

Do not buy
By Megan

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable. After 2 years we had to replace the engine, now at 100,000 miles we need a new transmission. It has been one thing after the other and I will never buy an Audi ever again. Nobs all wear or fall off, interior tears, head lights burn out every 2 seconds. Not only have I spent tons of money having to repair the car I want to get rid of it and it isn't worth anything, horrible resale. Bad bad bad, that is all I have to say!

The exterior look and large trunk.

QUALITY. Everything about that car is horrible quality!

This is Audi #3
By Victory

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third Audi for me. I bought my first one used w/60,000 miles- an Audi 90 and donated it with 173,000 on it. It was great. I bought an Audi 90 brand new and put 194,000 miles on it. Another great driving car. Now I have an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 6sp. manual and I love it. It had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and not a scratch on it. I love the summer package (wide wheels) but they ride rough. The winter tired were great for Ohio snow.

The handling of an Audi and its reliability is what keeps me coming back to them.

Because of the 3.0 engine this one isn't so fuel efficient but the amenities so makes up for this negative aspect.

Not for long commutes
By AO

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is cute and fun. But don't drive it too much. By 2007, with all the repairs we've already done and those still coming up, this car has depreciated like a rock and we're left holding the bag, wondering when our next $2,000 repair bill will come up. The overcomplicated German design leaves even the smallest repairs costing more than they should, and the benefit - our cute car - has been blackened by our repair bills.

Smooth like butter, but eats up coils
By MysteryDyke

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this baby since its birth. The paint and fit and finish are still like new. The 1.8T quattro w 5spd manual has plenty of power and is great in snow. No real issues but we're on our 3rd set of ignition coils ($400 ea time). Our horn kept shorting out until they finally fixed the bracket (5 repairs later). The power steering fluid has a slow leak and ANY routine repair is pricey ($83 to replace 2 burnt out tail light bulbs!), but the ride and handling are still superb. We still love our A4 and it's just like new after 5+ years. Would highly recommend this car.

The ride! Tight, controlled, but never harsh. Great seats. Plenty of zip to the 1.8 liter turbo with manual transmission.

Fix the coils. They keep burning out suggesting a design flaw. Quit blaming Bosch for bad parts and fix the real problem. And leaking power steering is also a recurring A4 theme.