Used 2002 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 266 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Do not buy
By Megan

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car thinking it was going to be reliable. After 2 years we had to replace the engine, now at 100,000 miles we need a new transmission. It has been one thing after the other and I will never buy an Audi ever again. Nobs all wear or fall off, interior tears, head lights burn out every 2 seconds. Not only have I spent tons of money having to repair the car I want to get rid of it and it isn't worth anything, horrible resale. Bad bad bad, that is all I have to say!

The exterior look and large trunk.

QUALITY. Everything about that car is horrible quality!

This is Audi #3
By Victory

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the third Audi for me. I bought my first one used w/60,000 miles- an Audi 90 and donated it with 173,000 on it. It was great. I bought an Audi 90 brand new and put 194,000 miles on it. Another great driving car. Now I have an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro 6sp. manual and I love it. It had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and not a scratch on it. I love the summer package (wide wheels) but they ride rough. The winter tired were great for Ohio snow.

The handling of an Audi and its reliability is what keeps me coming back to them.

Because of the 3.0 engine this one isn't so fuel efficient but the amenities so makes up for this negative aspect.

Not for long commutes
By AO

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is cute and fun. But don't drive it too much. By 2007, with all the repairs we've already done and those still coming up, this car has depreciated like a rock and we're left holding the bag, wondering when our next $2,000 repair bill will come up. The overcomplicated German design leaves even the smallest repairs costing more than they should, and the benefit - our cute car - has been blackened by our repair bills.

Smooth like butter, but eats up coils
By MysteryDyke

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We've owned this baby since its birth. The paint and fit and finish are still like new. The 1.8T quattro w 5spd manual has plenty of power and is great in snow. No real issues but we're on our 3rd set of ignition coils ($400 ea time). Our horn kept shorting out until they finally fixed the bracket (5 repairs later). The power steering fluid has a slow leak and ANY routine repair is pricey ($83 to replace 2 burnt out tail light bulbs!), but the ride and handling are still superb. We still love our A4 and it's just like new after 5+ years. Would highly recommend this car.

The ride! Tight, controlled, but never harsh. Great seats. Plenty of zip to the 1.8 liter turbo with manual transmission.

Fix the coils. They keep burning out suggesting a design flaw. Quit blaming Bosch for bad parts and fix the real problem. And leaking power steering is also a recurring A4 theme.

One of the worst cars I have ever owned
By Sunny

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Loads of electrical gremlins. Spontaneously the alarm used to go off when I first got it. Radio problems, speakers cutting in and out, tweeter still busted. Dealers want $300 to replace a battery, recently paid $475 to diagnose and replace 3 feet of vacuum hose for a check engine light. Brakes were shot in 36,000 miles (my other car was good for 50,000 so it is not my driving) and tires the same. It was fun to drive when I bought it. Should have bought reliability. Maybe mine was just a lemon but I would not shop Audi/VW again.

It was a fun car to drive but the fun is gone.