Used 2002 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Would buy another Audi A4 1.8T
By Silver Bullet

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Audi A4 was recently totalled. Since its gone, I can fully appreciate what I had. Exterior design was so much so that I didn't want to trade it in for a newer model. The engine lagged a little at slower speeds, but remained smooth and controllable at higher speeds, including quick turns. Seating was good. Heated and light dimming mirrors were a bonus. Many, hard to find features were a bonus as well. This car was my Silver Bullet. I had normal wear issues, but they were expected. No electrical issues to report. The moonroof was quiet and the all around heated seats, power up and down windows made everyone comfortable. Looking to by another A4 or A6 soon.

Too many features to name, so I'll add to the list above. All window down using driver side key, ESP, premium speaker system, tire sensor program, wide wheel base with the sport package, tight steering, and a very easy and conveience to use cruise control. I liked it all.

The cup holders are really in bad locations. The back seat is fitting for children and yound adults. Anyone over 6-ft in the back seat tends to get cramped and caustophobic.

Will Cost You a Ton
By pweed8

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My A4 was great under warranty, too bad that expired at 50,000 miles. Lately it's cost about $600 a month just to keep it running, and I've only got 90,000 miles on it. Oh and the dealership just told me I needed to replace the timing belt ($1,350) when I took it in to get checked out for the class action suit against Audi. So needless to say I will never buy another Audi agian or ever recommend anyone buy one.

Looks nice.

A motor that doesn't break every month.

May I have Another!
By Shaughn357

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was hesitant to purchase another VW built car after the dismal experience I had with my 1999 VW Passat but I went ahead and purchsed a 2002 Audi Quattro A4. I am very happy with the car. I drive my cars hard and put at least 20k miles/year commuting to work and I have yet to experience any major problems. The car handles great on the highway and in third gear at 3000rpm, there isn't many cars she cannot pass. The secret to keeping these cars in great shape is to find a reputable mechanic who knows and works on Audi cars daily. Knowing that I drive my cars hard i take it in the shop about every two months for a checkup. I was also prudent and purchased the 100k extended warranty.

AWD, exterior styling, comfortable on long trips and just damn fun to drive on windy back roads.

The car accelerates quickly but could definately use a few more horses. The trick to being quicker is knowing when to shift. The rubber material used on the door hand rest and knobs is annoying as it wears off after only a few years. I will upgrade to the A6 when I purchase a newer car next year.

Great Car
By Walter

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first Audi that I've owned and have been nothing but satisfied with this car and Audi. The car looks great on the interior and exterior and is a great value for the money. Not to mention, it is fun to drive, gets decent gas mileage and is incredibly safe. I was in an accident in this car where someone hit me in the passenger door when running a red light. The car was damaged but I was able to get out completely unharmed. A friend was in a similar accident and her car was totaled and she had back injuries. This car is safe, fun, and all about luxury.

Safety, heated seats, looks

Different placement of cupholders! They are horrible! The one above the radio spills everything.

Downhill After 45K
By disappointed

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 45K miles, my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T (now at 53K miles) began to require very expensive repairs that I never needed for other vehicles I owned with over 100k miles. I had to replace the phlange that connected the coolant system to the engine, the steering rack and pinion, the windshield/headlight washing fluid pump and motor, and the dealer says that I need to soon replace engine gaskets. I do not know much about the mechanics of cars, but from my experience, it is unusual that such major repairs would be required on a vehicle that still has relatively low mileage and is owned by someone who is very diligent with all of the routine maintenance. Wish I had purchased the extended warranty!

Beautiful car. Handles well.

Audi needs to improve the quality of the parts in the A4.