Used 2002 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Get the 3.0
By audilove

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well it looks like I see a trend here. The 1.8T seem to have reliability issues while the 3.0 seem to run strong. I have owned mine for a year and love it. It's my second Audi, my first being an 80Q that I put 300k miles on. I will say that these cars require your attention. By that I mean don't skimp on maintenance. If there are issues, fix them IMMEDIATELY or it can get very expensive (i.e. ignore replacing a $25 coil pack and you could spend $1000 on a new cat). I will also say you need to keep the interior conditioned, it doesn't like being left to dry out on hot days.

Handling (quattro), styling, build quality.

Better fuel efficiency. I average between 22 and 25MPG.

Audi does it best
By JT

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased my A4 because I wasn't sure I would like driving a stick after a lot of years of automatics but this car changed all that. It has been a fantastic performer in all kinds of weather conditions and having a stick takes me back to when I was 16. I liked the A4 so much, I bought it outright and bought a 2 year warranty extension from the dealer. Had a couple of repairs made under the warranty but overall I have no complaints with the cars reliability up to this point with 58K miles on it. I got everything available except Bose audio and Xenon headlights. Heated seats are great in winter and very comfortable. This is the best car I ever owned.. and I've owned 11 different cars.

Overall build quality, Interior design, various little touches like puddle lights in each door, airbags all around, dash and instrument lighting, seat comfort, fold down seats, torquey engine especially at low rpms and much more.

Keep up the build quality

Waiting for the other shoes to drop
By Tim H

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've put a steady 12K a year on this car in a mix of city & freeway driving, up to the 75K I have now. After the 4- year lease was up, which coincided with the 50K-mile warranty, I bought the car outright and on a hunch bought a 70K- mile extended warranty. Great hunch! It paid for itself twice over, but now that it has expired I'm dreading the next major expense and wondering what it will be. Though I still love the vehicle, its looks & ride, it may be time to move on before the pit of mechanical-breakdown hell opens up. One amazing point: At 75K miles I have never needed new brakes thanks to careful driving and downshifting rather than braking at every opportunity (though I will soon)

Look of car, solid, quality feel and ride. Classic all the way.

Though a recent compression test shows I'm not leaking oil or excessively burning it, I'm certainly using it: a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic every couple of weeks. According to the mechanic, it's probably used mostly on the highway, not in the city. It takes a quart of Mobil One every 2 weeks.

Lemon Aid
By Susan

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Too many expensive repairs has taken the fun out of this car. I will miss the way it drives and extras, like the Bose stereo system, when I soon buy something different.

Quality, reliability

75k and still going
By JJA

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my second Audi (prev 4000CS) and am pleased with the way the car has performed. I first bought the auto in Seattle and had shipped to Europe (wanted US specs) and had it up to 128 mph. It drove flawless on the Autostrata! I purchased with the Phatbox and so I can enjoy my MP3s. The leatherette seats hold up better than the real leather seats my friend purchased with his Audi A4. Only big issue is that you must change the extended oil religeously with the turbo motor as it will cook the oil in the return pipe and cause the warning light to come on. It's a costly fix so beware. Overall the car is joy to drive when I can get away from my wife. Economical yet has power. Love it!

The fact that you get great gas mileage and at the same time have power is awesome. I normally get 28-30 MPG with my Audi. It did 128MPH on the Autostrata in Italy (governor kicked in) and it was like I was going 55. Most cars at that speed would sound like a wind tunnel. Love the German engineering

Get rid of the cup holders. Too cheaply made and the European Audi's didn't even have them. Wish the seat heaters had a light to show they're on. My wife uses the heaters a lot and I discover after my back is all sweaty. Slightly larger side mirrors would be nice.