Used 2002 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

So Long, Audi
By I'm Gonna Miss Her..

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car almost two years ago from an Audi dealership. Sadly, the engine has failed due to the infamous oil sludge build-up issue in the 1.8T engine. Car was always maintained at Audi dealer. The car is beautiful...but it will be moving on to greener pastures with someone who would like to put a new engine in it. Timing belt also had to be replaced, ignition coils, etc. Too many recalls for "Truth in Engineering", Audi.

Beautiful, sporty interior

A better engine

Great Car
By flyboy

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I get up to 36 mpg on the Interstate at 70, average 27 total including around town, uses no oil between 5000 mile changes, BE SURE to use synthetic and change it as the turbo is hard on oil, change the CVT every 50K, everything works like brand new on this car, no wind leaks, no rattles, no rust, no squeaks. Change the timing belt every 100K, brakes last 50K plus, has original shocks and they are still good.

handling, fun to drive

Drink holders are a joke.

=(
By Kam

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought that Audi 4 months ago, 3k miles and 3000 dollars I spend for keeping it running. Oil leak, pump(timing belt), catalytic, heater problems, ignition coils...and some more...14 - 15mpg in a city. It looks really great, but i'm afraid to drive it, anything could break anytime...

Good leather interior.

A4 quattro 1.8
By yo_mikeyyy

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car with 57k miles 2 years ago. Now I have 84k and I only had a few problems. Power steering fluid was leaking and engine speed sensor and also my moonroof won't stay open. I enjoy driving the car especially in the winter when there's snow on the ground! It's fun! I haven't had a major problem but I am scared coz someone I know has the same exact car and his timing belt broke at 85k. It is not a cheap car to fix nor maintain but I try my best.

quattro, handling is great, style

Cup holders are horrible in this model which they fixed with the B7s, the power steering leak on most of this model.

Great little car
By Lyle H.

2002 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I originally bought the 5sp. manual Audi A4 1.8t used with 95,000 miles on the odometer. 15 minutes after driving it away from the dealer, the car nearly broke down, so we drove it back and they replaced an engine coil and all was fine. I went about 10,000 miles with an oil change every 3k miles, and one day when I started it up the engine was acting funny and the check engine and oil light came on, indicating that there were signs of oil sludge buildup, which I read is quite common in the 1.8t, due to design flaw. Now, the radio acts up. However I love this car regardless. Such a fun, attractive, luxurious little car.

Looks, the way it drives, I love being seen in it because it looks like such an impressive car, speedy, all around great.

Window seals need improving, engine compartment design (can't get to anything the way its designed), engine and motor design, better cupholders.