Used 1999 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Audi A4 Sedan

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

207,000 and still runs strong!!!
By lockburner2000

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car and a blast to drive. There easy to fix if you know anything about cars. Buy aftermarket parts online and it is cheap to keep on the road. Still org. motor and trans. Just keep her tuned up and it will treat you well. I dont care what make you have it will need work at some point like wheel bearings and ball joints and tie rods. The only thing that gets me is the oil leaking it is with all 2.8 engines. Have the new gaskets put in when the timming service is done and it will save you a pile of money. I have a 98 and my wife drives a 99 with 160,000 miles.

Still love the car
By Car Guy

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought my Audi 2.8 AWD car with 70k on it about 5 years ago. I have had the usual issues that "all" Audi consumers experience. Control Arms, brakes Axel wheel bearings and tie rods. Skid plate clips broke away so I removed it in the spring, and by the summer the AC compressor had failed because of water and other road elements. I am also convinced that older Audi's dump engine exhaust heat into the cabin which annoying in the summer. With all that, you would think that I strongly disapprove of the car but on the contrary, I love the performance, AWD, winter and summer driving is always fun and plan to purchase my 7th one this winter. before you buy ask about timing belt, suspension..

Cabin interior and materials. AWD. 2.8V6 at high RPM is fun. Polished silver wheels. accent the car extremely well.

Major maintenance requires the front end to be removed. Cramped rear. Engine is placed too far forward, in front of front wheels which makes the car tipsy even with new suspension. Cheap Timing belt/ with an interference motor, meaning, if the Tbelt breaks, buy a new engine.

Solid little car
By b5 obsessor

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

So after my Saab 9000 died, I got my little Audi, and I have been loving itt since. I've put a couple of thousand miles on it, and I love it. Quattro has actually saved my life, and the car is definitely one of the most solid feeling cars that I've ever been in. I love how this car has attracted a cult of modders, if I ever need anything, I just go on the forums and do the diy, the 1.8t is vital, and the automatic just kills the whole experience because turbo+manual+quattro= some slightly illegal amazingness.

the 1.8t engine can be pushed to over 300 hp with a couple thousand dollars tops, solidity of the quattro, and the i love the understated beauty of this car.

More stock power (already addressed), improve the gearing, and put on a more aggressive rear diff (oversteer please) and keep making em like this

Quattro!
By raudi

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This car handles like no other car I have driven in my life. The Audi grips and grips, and that more than makes up for the lack of power from the 1.8t. I have more confidence in the handling and the solidity of the Audi. The only thing that I've had to replace is a window regulator on my car. It cost 250, but that was reasonable.

the quattro, the easy modifications that can take this car from well behaved commuter into a hard core sports saloon

more power, and a system that sends most of the power to the rear wheels, improve the reliability, and most of these have been addressed by Audi

First Time Audi Buyer
By Tommy

1999 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I liked the car because of the brand (big fan) and how it looks good and the ability of the Quattro system. Bought a 10 year old car for about $10K. I've owned it for 16 mos. I disliked it because I've spent over $5,500 in repairs. It didn't have problem at first month but afterward, timing belt $1.5K, bearings changed all of them @ $700, twice in LR wheel within 1 year, CV shafts $500, flex pipe $400, spark plugs+wire set twice bc engine stutters 200 etc. The worst is my car was put in all the money, there's more to fix ABS Module $400, engine oil leak and clutch $2.5K, brake pad worn signal, rear axle leak etc. and then some guy totaled my car on the hwy. ALL $$$ I put in, gone.

Quattro, sticks to the road, bragging rights for owning an AUDI, stares of admiration from people, great exterior finish for age, great interior and comfort, leather, AWD, moonroof, fog lights, everything you want and then some in a package that will make you proud when you drive on the road

Reliability. Parts break down all the time. I'm extremely honest, I really don't know how some people can put more than 5 on reliability and I'm a huge Audi fan still. Need to convince myself to steer away from Audi for my next vehicle still as my '99 is totaled.