Used 1999 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Not as bad as some say!
By drmmrboy74

1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased my Audi A4 with 55,000 miles and it now has 74,000 miles. I've replaced brake pads, water pump, timing belt w/tensioner, t. pulley, idler pulley, drive belt, front diff. axle seal, wires and plugs, and oil. Although this would have cost alot at a dealer, I purchased the parts online and replaced them myself. If your a decent mechanic or have alot of $$$, I'd highly recomend this vehicle. The 2.8 is a little under powered w/Tiptronic trans., but nothing beats the Quattro in the Michigan winter!

Entire front radiator assy. slides into "Service Mode" to allow access to the front of engine. Both front power seats are great. Handles extremely well. Dash is very nice @ night. Air is cold and powerful. All around great quality vehicle.

Larger back seat. Could use a different design for the front bumper cover side retainers (bumper comes uncliped on sides once in a while). Should come with tinted windows! Once again, Great Car!

I love it, but it frightens me...
By Saint

1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this '99 from Audi with 34k miles, now has 55k. All service needed has been under warranty: Both rear bearings, new radiator, brake rotors, replaced from bushing. For the first year it was in the shop once a quarter, it seemed. So far this year - no problems. I love to drive it, looks great, handles great. But once the warranty ends this year - what will happen? Will it turn on me or be "one of the good ones"? Dealer has been good, and so far I am OK with the experience - thanks to the warranty!

Interior look. Styling, handling, quattro inspires confidence, not fear, in bad weather.

Radio controls are hard to understand, standard stereo has poor sound.

Awesome Car
By PSAZtec

1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

This is a great car. It is so beautiful inside! Rich, contrasting colors are great. Ride is amazing. Bose stereo sounds impressive and full. I will sell my car and I will cry when I sell it. This is from a guy. Get a tiptronic, it is the way to go.

I Love This Car!
By mcdebra

1999 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I bought my Audi used with 31,000 miles (now she's at 53,000) and I have had no problems, just had to get a new battery and tires! Very reliable and I will definitely check out Audi's when I am looking for my next car.

I love the red dash lights, they really do not distract me like I thought they would. And the heated seats are my favorite on chilly mornings! The car handles well - my commute takes me through winding canyons and I love how she hugs the curves.

High Cost of Ownership
By smalltownsith

1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

From day one my 1999 Audi A4 has had problems. I bought it used with low miles and the certificed / extended warranty. It has had tons of electrical problems. I'm not sure what they did with when declared it a certified vehicle. the sensors and leaks continually need to be fixed. I think it says it all when the dealer has a special service price to check the airbag light - $200 before repairs and then another $800 for the acutal airbag that is only five years old. Even normal maintenance is just a rip-off, such as $1,000 for a new timing belt and water pump. The water pump started leaking after the twelve month parts warranty. Be strongly cautioned against "Audi workmanship."

Great to drive. Feels safe due to car's heavey construction.

The CD changer in trunk and drink holders are positioned poorly. the back seat is too small. the passenger seat has manual controls for setting while driver's seat is automatic.