Used 1998 Audi A4 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love Hate Relationship
By CWater

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is so much fun to drive. I bought mine used after 5-7 owners previously, and believed it to be great for the amount of work that had been put into it over the years, but I was wrong. If only i'd been able to see the future. I bought the car in May of 2017, and it is March of 2018. So far, there have been over $2100 in repairs, and there is still more to be done. At 20 years old, some of it is understandable, but the seats are not comfortable for the 4 hours car trips I take, and all parts cost extremely high. An MAF sensor for a Ford is around $40, but for Audi - $180. If you are considering buying it, look at the axles, and if there is a significant amount of rust on the exhaust, or a rough idle, do not buy it. Hope this helps, but for all its worth, I loved this vehicle.

Costly to drive
By spnj

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought it new 1998. Six V cylinder engine with a manual stick. Fun to drive and a lot of pep, but repairs way too much and suspension design and transmission not worthy of German engineering (mechanical engineer myself). 12 years and average maintenance/repair cost $1,000/year. First the lower suspension arms replaced, twice each side (Audi recall eventually), then new leaky radiator, wheel bearings on three wheels, timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles, 142,000 miles new clutch ($1,300), control arm upper front, and exhaust pipe clamps (3 times) plus regular maintenance. I think this is my last Audi and I will turn it in

Really fun and quick to drive

Oil filter access without dismounting stupid plastic cover under car with a lot of attachment screws, which will not be put back. The plastic cover will then rattle. Cup holder design ridiculous. Suspension arm design to complicated and too many breakable parts

Nice but...
By JC

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant 4dr Wagon

Nice car if you can afford the high dollar repairs. Ball joints have been a constant problem. Transmission went out completely at 80,000 miles even though the car has been very well cared for and driven lightly.

Its look.

10 year warranty. Better transmission and ball joints.

Audi Lover Cheated
By Audi Lover ?????

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had nothing but expense after expense which is making it difficult to justify buying another Audi despite my love for the cars. In nearly 3 years I have replaced the water pump, rear bearings, mass air sensor, power steering rack (which came from Audi faulty and was warranty replaced by local mechanic) turn signal headlight stalk, tie rod ends, sway bar links, all control arms (upper A and F R lowers), the timing belt, valve cover gaskets, mirror directional button is bad, and the car eats tires like the chocolate doughnuts I used to eat in my overweight youth. I am questioning, in anguish, the merits of fine German enigineering.

The paint job, Bose system, red interior lights, design.

Just read above!

Happy Audi Owner
By joe

1998 Audi A4 Wagon 2.8 Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my 1998 Audi A4 Avant from a dealer at with 45,000 miles on it coming of a 3 year lease. I have only replaced the front rotors and resurfaced rear with brake new pads. I have 75,000 miles on the car today. Maybe I'm lucky. This is my 4th Audi in 12 years and the only real problem I had were the denso A/C compressors on the 90 series.

I have the only one in town. It turns heads and gets excellent gas milage.

Better front leg room