Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Great car
By Aidan Grace

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I really like this car. When buying the car I thought I would be fun and safe ride and went for it despite its low ground clearance, I was worried about winter driving. I live in northern Vermont where winters are long, snowy and icy. It turned out to be the best winter car I have ever driven. When it got really bad out we would leave the all wheel drive truck with studded snow tires at home and use the Audi. I did put a set of good studded snow tires on it but what made it stick to the road was the great suspension and quattro system, by adjusting the throttle you could decide if you wanted to over steer or under steer

Winter drive, twisty back road driving, Hhgh speed highway driving

Back the governor system up to 155 mph instead of the 135 mph that it is now, also to people who are getting only low 20s mpg try going 85 mph instead of 75 mph and smoothing out your acceleration. At 75 mph I get 27 mpg and at 85 mph I get 31 mpg.

Lovin it so far
By Kiri

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

I just bought my A4 last October with very close to 100k miles on it, but I know the previous owner and know that it was well cared for. So far, I'm loving it! Except for the recent trip to my mechanic, where I found out that my tie rod had a slight problem, as well as my wheel bearings, so that was a bit to get fixed. When I bought it, the track for the moonroof was broken; it still can pop up, it just won't open completely, so I'm in no big hurry to fix it. Other than small things like that, I'm loving it!

Manual transmission, sound from under the hood, good handling in all weather (even w/out awd!), comfortable ride for long trips.

The cup holders are ridiculous! They don't effectively hold anything larger than a soda can.

My Audi
By Nehoda

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love the quattro, it makes you stick to the road like no other. The five speed manual tranny shifts smooth. The clutches on these cars are weird, it'll have lots of life left but still grab late.

Quattro, great MPG for a turbo.

Expensive, hard to find parts. Cant find drive axles at anywhere but dealer and they want 600$ for each one

Love Hate Typical Euro
By DrivingEnthusiast

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

Loved the car. Quattro, V6, manual - everything I wanted in an automobile. Unfortunately, I owned a Honda and a Toyota before my A4. Audi is totally performance oriented and cares nothing about vehicle life after the 50k warranty. The following were replaced from 70k to 110k: tie rods, suspension components, electronic controls, wheel bearings, and ABS sensor. There was a lifter tick for the last 10k miles so I'm sure something else was about to fail. Timing belt change job cost $1400 at 90k. I kept great care of this car and it kept breaking. I don't care how great Quattro was I'll never go back to Audi/VW.

Quattro - great for snow, and the car handled on rails during spirited driving. V6 plenty powerful. Decent gas mileage (avg'd 24mpg for vehicle life).

ZERO reliability. Driving home from the shop after a repair I was constantly anticipating the next thing to break. Wondering what the repair bill would total scared me. That's no way to drive - especially for a driving enthusiast. Performance doesn't mean anything if the car is always broken.

A great ride
By coloradoquattro

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

The Audi A4 has been the best car that I have ever owned. It is the perfect balance between performance and economy. I regularly get 30 mpg, but it certainly doesn't drive like an economy car. The turbo gives it power at high altitude that you just can't get with a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine. Quattro all-wheel drive keeps it on the road in all weather conditions. It has provided 165,000 miles of trouble free driving with only routine maintenance. I haven't abused it, but I don't baby it either. Never a dull moment.

Quattro all-wheel drive. Performance and handling. Fuel economy. Great looks. Reliability.

Only complaint is the inability to put climate control into recirculate mode when the outside temperature is below about 35 degrees.