Used 1998 Audi A4 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Was a very nice car.
By Zach

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T 4dr Sedan

Amazing in the Wisconsin Winters. I call it a tank for the reason that it has been hit 4 times, and the only visible damage to the car was a slight tear in the right rear fender the day it was knocked out of a parking stall and into the stall next to it. However, the repairs make this car not so much fun. I have done regular maintenance on it since I bought the car, and yet I always drive home with it wondering what is going to go wrong with it next. The high dollar fixes become a drain, especially in this economy. Have to get a new PCV valve, and the part costs forty dollars. Repairs total 350-400.

Multi-disc CD, Tiptronic controls, sunroof, ability to withstand low - impact collisions. VERY smooth ride.

Make it more reliable, Give it better fuel economy. I only get about 24-25 city, 28 hwy if I am lucky.

Love my car!
By Doris

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Most people don't believe it's a 98. Looks great drives great and would buy another one. The only thing I've done is replace the rack and pinion. Still happy!

I love the way this car drives.

I hate the cup holders!

Must have bought a lemon
By SM

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car used in 2007. It was a 1-owner vehicle with 65,000 miles. 2 weeks after I drove it off the dealership, it broke down. Thank goodness I decided to buy the extended warranty because it was $1500 to fix all that went wrong. In the year and a half I owned this car, it was nothing but problems. I would be anticipating it to break down every 2 months. Fuel line froze 4 times with Heet in the gas tank, tie rods needed replaced, ABS went out, radio needed a code that nobody could find. Would not buy an Audi unless I was making big bucks. Expect to pay a lot for maintenance.

Heated seats, sunroof, acceleration, AWD.

Make replacement parts cheaper and easier to come by. Improve reliability of this Audi...many weeks without a car due to problems.

Gentlemen, Open Your Wallets
By eyemd

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new and loaded with all options including the 2.8 V6 because I was seduced by timeless looks and the AWD feature. I took loving care of the car, returning to the dealer for all scheduled service intervals and driving the car gently. Once the warranty expired, I was rewarded with a series of "routine" repairs, many well in excess of $1000, including the infamous timing belt/water pump/main seal change at 65K miles, followed shortly by new tie rods/ball joints at 75K. I had intended to keep this car for at least 150K miles, but chose not to do so by enriching the dealer (and later, competent but equally costly independent shop). Will never purchase another Audi/VW.

Interior and exterior style

Outsource the drive train and suspension to Honda or Toyota!

Terrific reliable car, but costly
By gtv6

1998 Audi A4 Sedan 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

100,000 miles later, it has never let me down, but be prepared to pay. Suspension bits especially, and there are an infinite number of bits in the quattro suspension. The interior is unmatched and extremely durable, and Audi paint is excellent. There are few cars of the era that do so many things well, including 27mpg.

Predictable handling, artful interior, winter security. Looks new 10 years from the factory. 24 valve is huge improvement over the 12 valve.

Back seat is a torture chamber for adults. Has routinely burned a quart of oil between changes since the start.