Used 1998 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Sweet and solid 2.8 5 speed
By LJT 992

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I have read reviews about expenses. One person spent 3,000 on brakes, tires and rear wheel bearings, try finding a honest local repair shop. Max on that bill should be 750. Tires and brakes are consumables. I had two upper control arms put in at a total cost of 140, big whup! I have read reviews on Hondas and Toyotas and people complain about them. Make sure you know a local repair shop that works on these and the bills will only be slightly higher than the bland accord Camry domestic cars. This is a car that you smile in as you drive. If you are looking for a grocery car then buy something else b/c this is meant for a driving enthusiast not Gramma. Drink holders stink, who cares ur driving not eating.

Comfortable heated seats, handling, engine. 5 speed trans that's crisp. Tight body, good sight lines. Bose supreme sound with smaller aftermarket sub, just right. Heated locks, windshield and headlight washers. Turn key window down features. Galvanized steel with White Pearl paint too many features to list.

Was a very nice car.
By Zach

1998 Audi A4 1.8T 4dr Sedan

Amazing in the Wisconsin Winters. I call it a tank for the reason that it has been hit 4 times, and the only visible damage to the car was a slight tear in the right rear fender the day it was knocked out of a parking stall and into the stall next to it. However, the repairs make this car not so much fun. I have done regular maintenance on it since I bought the car, and yet I always drive home with it wondering what is going to go wrong with it next. The high dollar fixes become a drain, especially in this economy. Have to get a new PCV valve, and the part costs forty dollars. Repairs total 350-400.

Multi-disc CD, Tiptronic controls, sunroof, ability to withstand low - impact collisions. VERY smooth ride.

Make it more reliable, Give it better fuel economy. I only get about 24-25 city, 28 hwy if I am lucky.

Love my car!
By Doris

1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Most people don't believe it's a 98. Looks great drives great and would buy another one. The only thing I've done is replace the rack and pinion. Still happy!

I love the way this car drives.

I hate the cup holders!

Must have bought a lemon
By SM

1998 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car used in 2007. It was a 1-owner vehicle with 65,000 miles. 2 weeks after I drove it off the dealership, it broke down. Thank goodness I decided to buy the extended warranty because it was $1500 to fix all that went wrong. In the year and a half I owned this car, it was nothing but problems. I would be anticipating it to break down every 2 months. Fuel line froze 4 times with Heet in the gas tank, tie rods needed replaced, ABS went out, radio needed a code that nobody could find. Would not buy an Audi unless I was making big bucks. Expect to pay a lot for maintenance.

Heated seats, sunroof, acceleration, AWD.

Make replacement parts cheaper and easier to come by. Improve reliability of this Audi...many weeks without a car due to problems.

Gentlemen, Open Your Wallets
By eyemd

1998 Audi A4 2.8 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle new and loaded with all options including the 2.8 V6 because I was seduced by timeless looks and the AWD feature. I took loving care of the car, returning to the dealer for all scheduled service intervals and driving the car gently. Once the warranty expired, I was rewarded with a series of "routine" repairs, many well in excess of $1000, including the infamous timing belt/water pump/main seal change at 65K miles, followed shortly by new tie rods/ball joints at 75K. I had intended to keep this car for at least 150K miles, but chose not to do so by enriching the dealer (and later, competent but equally costly independent shop). Will never purchase another Audi/VW.

Interior and exterior style

Outsource the drive train and suspension to Honda or Toyota!